How to unhide a file or folder in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dfine1966, Jun 24, 2011.

1. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I have searched and I am new to the Mac. I really not sure how to use Terminal to see hidden files. My problem is that I got a new cell phone, HTC EVO 3D, and need to copy the contents of the microSD card onto the computer, to transfer the files to a larger microSD card. The problem is the files are hidden. When I had Windows, it was easy to unhide files and folders. I can't figure out how to do it in MacOS Snow Leopard. Is there and easier way. Possible a program that will do this. Or at least a way to unhide everything and an easy way to put it back to the way it was afterwards. Any help would be appreciated. I need to copy the Green Hornet 3D movie from one microSD card to my new one.

2. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Pathfinder is a "Finder" replacement, it does everything. It has a free trial period. Finder is OS X's weakness in my opinion.

3. dfine1966 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it safe to purchase through the program? Also, will it work with Lion?

4. kresh, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

PathFinder is the finest utility I have ever purchased. After using it for the trial period I purchased it through the program several years ago (for 10.4 Tiger) and had no problems. It was just a Hyper Text link that sent me to their web store. I am not sure how the in-program purchasing works now. Sorry.

I also have ForkLift (I got it free during MacHeist a few years ago) and I love the built-in FTP and connectivity but I think Pathfinder is much better.

I would try them both.

Pathfinder's Lion Compatibility

edit: There is another program that you may be interested in: TotalFinder. TotalFinder actually hacks functionality into Apple's Finder. It will allow you to view hidden files, use dual pane browsing and tabbed browsing. I used this during the trial but did not purchase.

My Appologies for stringing this out like I did.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Here is a link on how to do it through the terminal, and there is a way to revert back. So really you could write a bash script and make an Automator service to do the same sequence and change the hide/unhide properties whenever you want. Here is the link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2274100_hidden-files-mac-os-x.html

6. dfine1966 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I tried Path Finder and it did what I needed to do. I ended up buying it after using it for a few hours.

Thanks again.