Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Hello, how do I uninstall the Absinthe? Do I just delete the Cydia app? I have not installed any other JB apps. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
To completely remove the jailbreak you need to restore with a stock firmware, restoring to an old back-up in itunes doesn't do anything to your jailbreak.

Dima470

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
West Sacramento, CA
Restore from an iCloud backup as it does not keep your jailbreak data stored. Reset all settings afterwards to clear anything that might have been left behind

sheeptwo

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
Why the hell does a post from TriJetHero has -2?

Cydia app and all other hidden software is practically inside the OS. Restoring from a backup won't remove all the JB software, because the backup restore procedure doesn't see it or know about it.

I think your safest bet is to do "restore" via iTunes which will do a full wipe and OS installation and later, if you have lots of data, use one of your previous backups to restore all your apps and media.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
just restore to your last back up, and it will remove the jailbreak from your device.

Except that if you follow the absinthe instructions exactly, this is the last step - clearly it won't remove the jailbreak.

Do a clean restore, thn restore from backup.

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
Except that if you follow the absinthe instructions exactly, this is the last step - clearly it won't remove the jailbreak.

Do a clean restore, thn restore from backup.

Was simply trying to help out, obliviously I was wrong. I always restore clean, then to a back up to recover my information. Just didn't do a good enough job explaining. I'm almost positive the other members who posted after me resolved the issue..clearly. 1+ for you're ego/post count though, good job ;)

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Was simply trying to help out, obliviously I was wrong. I always restore clean, then to a back up to recover my information. Just didn't do a good enough job explaining. I'm almost positive the other members who posted after me resolved the issue..clearly. 1+ for you're ego/post count though, good job ;)

Speaking of egos, sorry that I seem to have bruised yours. I was just providing some evidence that that method wouldn't work so that the OP would know which of the conflicting pieces of advice to follow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.