how to uninstall an update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TooL314, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TooL314 macrumors newbie

Hello, I installed 2 updates today one was for firmware and the other for bonjour. I don't have bonjour and put it on accidentally. now i have no audio when viewing avi files in quicktime (yes i have perian up to date and have tried restarting several times). So my starting point is to remove the Bonjour update, if anyone could help me out as to how to do that. thank you very very much

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Bonjour did not affect QuickTime. What is likely going on is a bad avi container. Use VLC to view the affected video, and it may even offer to fix the problem.

TEG

4. TooL314 thread starter macrumors newbie

the avi s are the some ones i have been using every day for about a year (kaplan to study for the med step 1) and worked fine up until i updated. i even checked old movies that i have in avi format that i have watched in the past and it's the same thing. I have vlc player, but you don't have as much control over playback speed as you do with quicktime player 7. (i check quicktime x and that too has the same problem) I watch the videos anywhere from 0.8 to 2.2 depending on the intensity of the material. since they are many many hours of video the ability to toggle through different speeds affects my study time tremendously....I have time machine, can i go back to my system before the update?

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Boot off of your (Snow) Leopard DVD, choose Restore from Time Machine and select what time you want to go back to. Be warned that it takes quiet a while depending on how much hard drive space you are using.

6. TooL314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much for your help. After uninstalling quicktime 7 AND perian, restarting, reinstalling, restart again somehow it managed to fix itself. quicktime 7 a/v controls are crucial to my studying and it is extremely unfortunate that although vlc gives some control over playback speed on a mac, the windows version is far better. I have no idea why that featured would be removed from quicktime x. I suppose I won't delete the thread just in case anyone runs into a similar problem? Once again thank you for taking the time out to help me, this was very important to me and crucial to my studies (not to mention i have spent almost four hours now trying to fix this).