How to uninstall AOL from new iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iCarly, Apr 3, 2009.

1. iCarly macrumors newbie

Dear fellow Mac users,

I recently made the switch from PC to Mac, and I am very pleased that I did.

My 24-inch iMac arrived on April 1st. As part of my switch, I downloaded AOL for Mac, and quickly realized that I couldn't access all my email and bookmarks in order to transfer them.

Today, I found and downloaded the AOL Desktop for Mac -- much better, and I will be able to bridge the differences.

How do I uninstall the first AOL version? I just don't want the clutter.

And, does anyone recommend against uninstalling the first AOL version?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to help.

Carly
    Houston, TX

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i think that AOL Desktop is using some of the same preferences and profile files that the older program used, those are in your "user" folder so keep them.....but you could get rid of the old AOL application from the "applications" folder

3. iCarly thread starter macrumors newbie

re: AOL/new iMac question

Thanks Macky!

The uninstall turned out to be so easy, that I'd have never guessed how to do it.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

This isn't directly related to your question, but as far as I can tell, all the things AOL Desktop for Mac does have Apple based components which I've found are much better. Maybe I've just had bad experience with AOL's software, but I would use OS X's built in programs.

5. sscoolio macrumors newbie

use an application like appzapper to remove the aol app automatically and all relating files :) thanks for using a mac and participating in macrumors!