How to uninstall applications?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stringtheorist, Apr 1, 2008.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

I've just switched over to iMac (previously a PC user). I've noticed there appears to be no add/remove applications facility. I've just been sending software files I don't want to the Trash. Is this actually removing the programs from my system? If not, how do I do this?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's about it. You can do a bit better if you use an application like AppZapper or a pref pane like AppTrap to get rid of support files.

3. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Yes, just trash the file. Sometimes there are support files (preferences and such), but with spotlight, you can find them and throw them out as well.
    Very rarely does an application need an uninstaller.

4. Fatum macrumors member

Fatum

First, welcome to the Mac world.

As for your question, just make sure you drag the application file from your application folder to the trash. Dragging the dock icon to trash just removes it from dock.

Yes I know it is kinda useless to remark this, but he was a Windows user so you never know.

Regards
    Fatum

5. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Leopard's Spotlight no longer shows results from the Application Support folder as well as the Preferences folder, two areas where the majority of mac apps create files/folders. Also don't forget to check the HD's Library folder.

6. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. That's all I need to do? This was such a headache in Windows, I assumed there must be more to it. Thanks everyone. :cool:

7. Nick T. macrumors regular

Clarification for recent switchers about application removal.

If you go to the Applications folder you’ll see a bunch of applications - - files with a .app extension.
    If you highlight one of these apps and select “More info…” it looks like an executable file.
    If you double click one of these, say FileTrasher.app, then FileTrasher opens.

FileTrasher.app IS NOT an executable; it IS a folder that contains the executable and most, if not all, of the needed support files. Thus, putting FileTrasher.app in the Trash does a pretty good job of uninstallation.

===================================

It would be a big help for us newbies if a more knowledgeable OS X expert could give use the rules that applications follow concerning leaving files outside of their own folder.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its usually in /Library/Application Support/AppName

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You just need to tell Spotlight to search system files by using the advanced options.

10. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Please tell me how! In Spotlight's System Prefs, none of the items I can check have anything to do with specific files/folders.

11. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

I really like AppDelete for getting rid of an application and all support files, without having to find anything.

/Rupert

12. jcs1088 macrumors regular

I like using AppZapper to uninstall apps. I've also used AppDelete which works pretty well too and there's another one called App Cleaner.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open a Finder window & search for the app's name in the search bar, press the plus button, change "Kind" to "Other…" & a window blind will pop down, search for "system" and click "in menu" for "System files", press OK and then set it to "include" and your done! (easier than its sounds).

i.e. to uninstall AppZapper (ironic) delete these files. Hint: look in the Path Bar to see if these files are from an AppZapper directory. you can add the Path Bar from the View menu.

[​IMG]