How to uninstall lynx?

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I've been posting alot of threads lately but this one is a last resort. I've googled maybe 10 times, read numerous forums, checked help guides and I still cant figure out how to uninstall the text based browser. I just want it off my computer, can anyone explain how?

Please and thank you!

Ganesha

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Note: You should really use the package manager you used to install lynx to remove it. But in case you deleted the package manger here is how to delete the binary.

$ which lynx
/some/path/to/lynx
$ rm /some/path/to/lynx

This may be useful in finding stuff associated with lynx.

$ locate lynx

Note: There will be things that match *lynx* that have nothing to do with the browser. Be careful of what you decide to delete.

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I just dont want it on my computer anymore. I downloaded it, like an idiot, without thinking first. Also I still have the package, but it didnt come with an uninstaller. I will try that today, thanks!

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Note: You should really use the package manager you used to install lynx to remove it. But in case you deleted the package manger here is how to delete the binary.

$ which lynx
/some/path/to/lynx
$ rm /some/path/to/lynx

This may be useful in finding stuff associated with lynx.

$ locate lynx

Note: There will be things that match *lynx* that have nothing to do with the browser. Be careful of what you decide to delete.
I tried this and it says permission denied. I am the the only user of this computer.

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
That worked, but I'm still able to open and run lynx. After I enter that command it asks for a password then thats it, assuming its done its work. I'm still able to use lynx.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd suggest just leave it. It's only 3 MB big and it's not hurting anything or preventing you from using anything.

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I'd suggest just leave it. It's only 3 MB big and it's not hurting anything or preventing you from using anything.
True, but surely there has to be a way to remove it, this doesnt seem normal that I cant get rid of something, and finding a solution to do so isnt so easy either.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
True, but surely there has to be a way to remove it, this doesnt seem normal that I cant get rid of something, and finding a solution to do so isnt so easy either.
It isn't normal but that is because thing have changed over the decades. If you used make to install, the only way I know of is to look at the script and see where the files went.

Since this obviously is annoying and time consuming, people use a package manager such as MacPorts to manage (install, delete, update, search etc.) the different programs.

ytk

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
That worked, but I'm still able to open and run lynx. After I enter that command it asks for a password then thats it, assuming its done its work. I'm still able to use lynx.
sudo rm `which -a lynx`

Those are backticks, not quotes. Just copy and paste that into the Terminal. If that doesn't work, try this:

echo alias lynx=true >> ~/.bash_profile ; source ~/.bash_profile

It won't remove lynx, but at least it will prevent you from running it by just typing lynx. :p

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Okay, I THINK its all gone. Is there any way to see if it left behind some hidden files. I deleted the exec. file I had in my apps folder for lynx by simply trashing it, and did the sudo rm path to lynx, and it apparently worked.

When I try 'which lynx' now it cant find it, assuming its all gone. Wondering if I can see if it left some files behind.

Thank you all for your help!

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
If you wanted to remove it cleanly (and it was installed via a package) you should have used pkgutil

type pkgutil on it's own for the options or man pkgutil