How to uninstall Messenger and Outlook from Office 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by greatwall9528, Aug 26, 2013.

1. greatwall9528 macrumors newbie

greatwall9528

It is different from the Windows version,they don't allow you to select which to install when you setup the office 2011,I only need the Word,Excel and PowerPoint, so I want to uninstall the others,and I wonder if the uninstall will influence the other function?

2. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

I have uninstalled them also remote desktop and one more, cant remember exactly, but no issues so far with word, excel or powerpoint

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Look in the Office folder...If you run the uninstaller it will allow you to ditch outlook etc. if you aren't using it....I've done the same thing on my iMac as I didn't want or need it.

4. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Can I just ask though, if you didn't want Outlook why did you spend extra on Microsoft Office for Business?

5. triple-tap, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

triple-tap macrumors 6502

Outlook and messenger are installed with EVERY version of office for Mac 2011.

The difference is that you can't USE outlook unless you upgrade online to business / 365 / etc.

So he likely didnt spend any extra money, and only has office home and student for Mac 2011.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

You should be able to click "Customize" at the bottom of the window in the 4th step while installing Office to select/deselect applications and other packages. See the attached picture for reference.

With that said, can you not just drag the Messenger & Outlook applications from /Applications/Microsoft Office to the trash? There will still be some support files remaining in /Library & ~/Library but these are typically very small in size and shouldn't cause problems if their main applications are removed.

Attached Files:

7. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Oh really? Thanks I never knew that.
    So if my brother (student) buys the cheaper student version, any ideas how much it would cost for him to get outlook activated? The price differential is really high here between the 2. This might be much more reasonable.

Cheers.

8. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Are you saying that the Office 2011 Home and Student version includes Microsoft Outlook 2011, but that version of Outlook does not work against an Exchange Server or POP3/IMAP servers?

That is a new one to me. I don't have that SKU so I don't know.