Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serge88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Sorry I'm new to Mac, I have Office 2004 evaluation on my iMac and everytime I click on a excel file it wants to install itself. Is there an uninstall on Mac ? How do you get rid of software ?

Serge

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Drag it to the trash. Job done.

You'll find support files in your ~/documents directory and ~/library, but it won't do any harm if you leave them there..

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
What do you want to use to open the Excel files? Numbers? Then select the file, click on "more info" or hit command-I, and change the Open with: dialog to Numbers. Click on Change All, and all .xls files will always be opened with Numbers.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
There's an uninstaller

I'm pretty sure Office 2004 installs an uninstaller if you want to make sure it's completely gone. I think it's installed with Office and doesn't just reside on the CD.

Serge88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Thanks, that looks simple and yes if number can open xls file i will use it.

Serge

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, if an app comes with an uninstaller, and Office 2004 does, you should use it to make sure you get rid of everything. Simply dragging and app to the Trash works for most small apps, but some apps like Office like to put their hooks into other areas of your system and you should get rid of those to be safe.

It should be in /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.