How to uninstall OSX itself?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kurenaiz, Apr 23, 2012.

1. kurenaiz macrumors member

I'm on a macbook pro unibody late 2008.

Today, I just got my hand on the seagate momentus XT 750 GB.

I want to clone whatever I have in my current hard drive to the XT, except for the download folders, which weigh in at 460 GB.

Then, I would want to delete everything else except for the download folder, off from my old disk, in order to use it as an external storage.

If I were to do this, would it render my files in the download folder inaccessible or corrupted?

Or is there other better way of uninstalling OSX off from my old disk?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It would be best to just reformat it after you clone it. But you will need to copy your download folder to a safe spot before you reformat.

3. kurenaiz thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid copying the 460 GB data back and forth between the 2 disks.

Is there any other ways?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This should work fine. It definitely will not corrupt the files in your Downloads folder. There will be some hidden folders that will be left on the disk, though, which could confuse the system at times I suppose. I'd recommend just using the Terminal to remove those (if you're comfortable with it) or enabling the viewing of hidden files for a while so that you can delete them.

For the record, these are the folders and files you might want to delete:
    Code:
    .DS_Store
    .dbfseventsd
    .vol
    System
    cores
    mach_kernel
    sbin
    .DocumentRevisions-V100
    .file
    Applications
    dev
    net
    tmp
    .Spotlight-V100
    .fseventsd
    Library
    Volumes
    etc
    opt
    usr
    .Trashes
    .hotfiles.btree
    Network
    bin
    home
    private
    var
    I don't know how many of those would actually be critical, but I would delete them all to be safe. (That's just a list of all files, hidden and visible, from my boot drive, for the record.)

jW