How to Uninstall PART of iLife?

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
So I was installing iLife earlier today, and i really have no need for idvd or garageband at this time. Yet i accidentally selected to install the entire suite. I tried to run the installer again to see if i could get an uninstallation option, but i didnt see it. Is there a way to uninstall just part of iLife easily? If i just trash iDVD app i'd think it will leave other stuff around my HDD wont it?

newish to mac sorry if i sound like a fool.

Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Dragging iDVD to the trash should be fine. There are preference files and a couple of pdfs that you could Spotlight if you wanted to (assuming you're on Tiger) but they take up hardly any space.

Garageband is a little messier. You'll need to drag the app to the trash plus some loops etc. Just run a quick search for Garageband and trash it all. Easy as! :)

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
If you will never use iDvd... just trash it. It will save you a ton of space.

By dragging and dropping... the beauty of Macs allows the whole folder contents to be in that one app icon. (if you have spotlight you can double check)

kyle

edit___ whoops! i posted way to slow... and i said the EXACT SAME THING!

my bad

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Thanks guys. I trashed idvd, and yes i am on tiger, it was only like 1.2gb though. On to garageband, which i feel could be alot bigger.

Thanks

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Thanks guys. I trashed idvd, and yes i am on tiger, it was only like 1.2gb though. On to garageband, which i feel could be alot bigger.

Thanks

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the Garageband loops etc are in /library/application support/ ....just delete the whole Garageband folder out of there along with what's in the applications folder.....oh yeah!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I have 30GB hard drive in my ibook, I uninstalled all the apps I dont need but are there other things I can erase apart from apps to save space? Maybe Languages and etc, if so how?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Printer drivers! I know that the default OS install puts something like 300Mb of just Epson printer drivers. Find them in /Library/Printers, delete all the printers you don't use, you can always put drivers on for new printers as you need them.