Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I'm pretty sure that you just open the APPLICATIONS folder and drag the app into the trash, is that correct?

I'm new to Mac's so; does this remove everything that has to do with the program like a library or files associated with it?

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Most programs have all their stuff except for the their preferences file stored within the bundle itself, so trashcanning that deletes everything. Some programs (notably those that use installer packages) may have left files elsewhere, like the Application Support folder. These usually have an uninstaller as well, either that they installed originally, or on the disc/disc image you originally got the installer package off of.

As for that preferences file, it is a tiny file (4-5KB) that is ignored by everything except the program you just deleted, so there is really no harm in just forgetting about it, but you can go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the thing if you feel like it.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Easy answer:

To uninstall a program, simply drag its icon from the Application folder to the Trash.

All programs contain things like preference files and sometimes additional files, which are usually stored in the Library. While it's not necessary to remove these (as they take up very little space, and can be convenient if you ever choose to reinstall the program), if you'd like to remove them you can. They're located in the Library folder, and you can just drag them to the Trash if you go looking for them. Note though this does take some work and you need to know what you're doing -- in which case it may be easier to use one of the above mentioned programs to do it for you.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the help and I'm sure I'll be posting more stupid questions as I learn. LOL!

I'm basically wanting to install iLife 09 but I've already got iLife 08 and wondered if the 09 version would uninstall things first?

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
thanks! I'm watching some of your videos in your signature right now!!!!

Where'd you get that background with the round bubbles, that looks sweet!!!

samuraix98

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
iLife 08 Delete Help

When I first got my mac, like the little mac newb I was I deleted some important ilife 08 which came standard with my mac apps. such as imovie and iweb and some other dinky **** programs, which actually I wouldn't mind having now for editing some video. instead of going through the trouble of rocking out premier pro as i would do for most projects, this is jsut some little video with some ends to cut off and drop on YouTube.

How do I gather those apps once again since i did in fact delete them I the Trash. One thought was to put my original installer dics in to see what would happen. Should I back HD up first before I put that disc in, or would it just take care of reloading what im missing in apps.

All I know is that I would like these apps back with out loosening anything else in the process. Please Help.
Thank YOU.

samuraix98

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Should this program allow me to pick and choose what part of iLife 08 I need of my install disc? Presumably thats what this says, just making sure.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Taken from there website

"Pacifist can come in handy if you need to install just one file out of a package instead of the entire package. For example, if your copy of Mail or iChat gets damaged and you need to reinstall it, but don’t want to go to the trouble of reinstalling the entire operating system, you can use Pacifist to extract only what you need from the install packages. Pacifist can also be used instead of the normal Installer, which can be helpful if you experience bugs in the Installer that mess up your symbolic links, or if you just like a little more control over the installation process."

So for exmple you could choose just to install iPhoto if that is what you require.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.