How to Uninstall the (always-on) Mail App?

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I want to remove the Mail app that comes with the iPad. Is this possible? My iPad is jailbroken (ios5.0.1), and the Mail app always seems to be running.

I don't really need it, and I wanna free up as much ram as possible. If anyone knows a way to disable/remove this app please let me know.

p.s: I have an iPad 1

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I want to remove the Mail app that comes with the iPad. Is this possible? My iPad is jailbroken (ios5.0.1), and the Mail app always seems to be running.

I don't really need it, and I wanna free up as much ram as possible. If anyone knows a way to disable/remove this app please let me know.

p.s: I have an iPad 1
I don't think you can. Why don't you use SBSettings to free up the RAM?
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the default apps. If it's confirmed that there are no side effects from deleting Mail.app, then go ahead and do it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think you can use backgrounder to prevent apps from running in the background. So you could set Mail to not run in the background. Haven't tried it recently, but I think this was possible.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think you can. Why don't you use SBSettings to free up the RAM?
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the default apps. If it's confirmed that there are no side effects from deleting Mail.app, then go ahead and do it.
I already do, but Mail re-runs immediately and seems to stay on no matter what.

I think you can use backgrounder to prevent apps from running in the background. So you could set Mail to not run in the background. Haven't tried it recently, but I think this was possible.
Thanks, I will give this a try.

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

Rename the app to something else and see if your iPad gets messed up. That way you can revert back by renaming it back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.