How to Uninstall the (always-on) Mail App?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by PrayForDeath, Jan 28, 2012.

1. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

I want to remove the Mail app that comes with the iPad. Is this possible? My iPad is jailbroken (ios5.0.1), and the Mail app always seems to be running.

I don't really need it, and I wanna free up as much ram as possible. If anyone knows a way to disable/remove this app please let me know.

p.s: I have an iPad 1

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I don't think you can. Why don't you use SBSettings to free up the RAM?
    If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the default apps. If it's confirmed that there are no side effects from deleting Mail.app, then go ahead and do it.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think you can use backgrounder to prevent apps from running in the background. So you could set Mail to not run in the background. Haven't tried it recently, but I think this was possible.

4. PrayForDeath thread starter macrumors 6502

I already do, but Mail re-runs immediately and seems to stay on no matter what.

Thanks, I will give this a try.

5. Kc2kzz macrumors newbie

Couldn't you log in via ssh and just delete the app?

6. PrayForDeath thread starter macrumors 6502

I can, but is that safe? I mean, the mail app is deeply integrated in the OS, so I'm not sure if it's ok to just remove the mobilemail.app entirely.

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

Rename the app to something else and see if your iPad gets messed up. That way you can revert back by renaming it back