How to uninstall the system original software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by greatwall9528, Aug 25, 2013.

1. greatwall9528 macrumors newbie

greatwall9528

There are so many apple original software,but most of them I won't use them,such as Automator,Dashboard,Game center,Mission Control and so on,I want to uninstall them ,but how to uninstall and which can be uninstalled but never matter the system use?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't recommend removing any software bundled with OS X. While you may not need them now, you may discover a use for some of them later. Also, removing some apps may affect other functionality. There's no reason to remove such software. If freeing up drive space is your goal, there are better ways to do that without risking deleting something you may need.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

3. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I agree with the post above, but if you really think you don't need something you can probably use appcleaner:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner

PS: can you put a list of apps you wish to delete in your OP so we can tell you what is safe?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you elect to use apps such as AppCleaner, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
    The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I'm not even sure you can delete OEM Apple software that came with the OS...:confused:

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you are running short of HDD / SSD space, the price of external devices is very very cheap now....why not just buy a USB drive as expansion? Removing built in software is not recommended, and as pointed out, can impact on the functionality of your Mac.

A WD 2TB passport will cost you under $100.00, and many other larger options are also available.

7. greatwall9528 thread starter macrumors newbie

greatwall9528

I used the Appzapper, it is similar to the appcleaner,but it doesn't work when you try to uninstall a system app,'move to trash' can not work,either.

8. silvershamrock macrumors member

I can say with certainty that you can't. (I tried that once. I was attempting to fix an issue in iTunes once by removing and re-installing it - and OSX wouldn't let me remove it because the app was considered part of the OS.)

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thanks. I thought this was the case. I know you couldn't uninstall OEM apps from any iOS device and for a while, you couldn't even hide them in a folder (which you can now).

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Any reason you want to do that?

A typical PC comes with many crapwar that slows you down.

On a Mac, software installed by Apple won't slow down the computer.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Don't touch them, if you remove them OS updates may fail because they can't find them.

Need more space get external storage or a NAS.

12. Judith123 macrumors member

I have the same experience with you. I also don't like some software bundled with Operating System. I try to uninstall them, but failed. So, I think it is not a wise idea to uninstall them. :( Just keep them as usual.