how to uninstall windows xp from old pc, install on new mbp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dabills80, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dabills80 macrumors member

I've spent all morning trying to find a way to uninstall windows xp off my old pc. I installed parallels, partitioned my hard drive, now all I need to do is figure out this situation.
    Thanks.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

You must have a legitimate install DVD (or CD?) for Windows to get it onto your Mac

3. salvatore macrumors member

In short, you don't.

It sounds like you want to install Windows XP on a VM on your MBP. If that's the case, simply perform the install and use the license key from your PC installation.

If you're trying to do something else, give us some details and we'll help you.

4. MIKE666 macrumors regular

boot from your xp disc and format the partition with the operating system on, have you installed another os on the other partition? if so then a utility like disk utility for which ever os you are using and format it from there. only do that if there is nothing on there that you want to keep.

thats what i do. works every time.:)

5. dabills80 thread starter macrumors member

I have an old windows XP cd laying around. I tried installing it through parallels but i got an error message saying it would could not install. After that, I assumed the error came because this copy of windows xp was already installed on my old PC. I've been trying to uninstall, which i assume would unregister the copy, from my PC but cannot figure out how to do it.

6. salvatore macrumors member

You already know what we're going to ask next: What was the error message preventing you from completing the install?

7. dabills80 thread starter macrumors member

Well, when I tried to find out what the error was, I decided I'd try to install windows using Bootcamp. I followed the instructions, answered "yes" to restart my mac and install windows xp. My mac now starts up with a gray screen and immediately after I get an "disk error, press any key to continue". Unfortunately, I press keys and nothing happens. My OSX cd's are back at college. My computer can literally do nothing; I'm typing this from my dad's old compaq :(

8. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

try restarting holding X immediately at start up, might have got hung up on the attempted windows install.

is the Windows Disc an OEM? (like form HP, Dell, Compaq, etc etc) or is a Genuine Windows Disc? with the hologram and all that.
    Because if its an OEM from a manufactured computer, then no luck.
    just get a XPSp2 disc for dirt cheap on amazon or newegg.

9. dabills80 thread starter macrumors member

It's a genuine windows disk. I get a message "Setup cannot find a previous of Windows installed on your computer. To continue, Setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product."

This confuses me because the windows XP cd is a standard version of XP.

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

What is the exact version of the disk?

Windows XP Home?
    Windows XP Pro?
    Windows XP Pro SP2?

Because it needs Pro SP2 to operate properly.

11. dabills80 thread starter macrumors member

Just realized that my dad was wrong; it is actually an upgrade. I guess I'll have to go buy the real version. Unfortunately, my computer still boots up telling me there is a disk error, even when holding "z". Guess I'll have to wait till i go back to school before i can use it again :mad:

12. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

Not Z....hold X (as that is a forced OSX boot)

if not do a SMC reset; if your using a MacBook or MacBookPro remove the battery, hold the power button for a few seconds, put the battery back in then turn it on, then do a PRAM reset immediately after pressing the power button; by hold COMMAND OPTION P R at the same time, it will chime again and then release and should boot you back into OSX (as it should reset the boot config file)

otherwise after the resets hold option down to choose the OS to boot into.