Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
is it possible to unlock a 2g iphone that is updated to the newest firmware? and also to get MMS on it.. all this with T-mobile.

I have a PC. please help! there are so many programs and im not sure which is best to unlock. don't need to jailbreak just unlock.. if you can PM if you can't post it here thanks!

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
is it possible to unlock a 2g iphone that is updated to the newest firmware? and also to get MMS on it.. all this with T-mobile.

I have a PC. please help! there are so many programs and im not sure which is best to unlock. don't need to jailbreak just unlock.. if you can PM if you can't post it here thanks!

Yes you can unlock it just fine as the baseband if not updated on the 2G models. if you have a PC, jailbreak with any program you like, Blackra1n, QuickPwn, etc. Then download BootNeuter to unlock. FYI, you need to jailbreak before you can unlock. :)

Check the first sticky in this form for more info!

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
People have been having success with both Blackra1n and QuickPwn. Once you have Cydia up and running, search for http://sinfuliphonerepo.com in your Sources. From there, select "Enable MMS 2G 3.1.2." Let us know if you need any more help.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
im almost positive i was able to JUST unlock it before. it says i need something like a ispw. im using red snow.anyway have this to help me with!

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
well my phone is restored and updated but when i plug it in. itunes says needs sim car or pin card number. and when i run quickpwn it says i need ispw i downloaded a ispw.zip but i don't see it in there! ugh! i feel so stupid

basically i just want to unlock. i dont want no jailbreak apps on the phone. idk if anyone knows what i mean and if possible i would like to maybe put mms on it, but thats just if its possible. not sure how this all works.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
well my phone is restored and updated but when i plug it in. itunes says needs sim car or pin card number. and when i run quickpwn it says i need ispw i downloaded a ispw.zip but i don't see it in there! ugh! i feel so stupid

basically i just want to unlock. i dont want no jailbreak apps on the phone. idk if anyone knows what i mean and if possible i would like to maybe put mms on it, but thats just if its possible. not sure how this all works.

You can't get MMS on the 2G without jailbreaking.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok but once again how do I go about doing this. These sites don't explain step by step very well

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
ok so i was able to use redsnow to unlock the iphone, but only using 3.0.x apparently red snow cannot unlock 3.1.2... and i think by researching online that the only way to unlock 3.1.2 is by using black snow, but im not interested in having cydia on the phone and with red snow at least i was able to just unlock and not install any useless app to jailbreak. yes i know cydia may be useful to some people, but not to the person i am giving the iPhone to they have said they are not interested in the jailbroken app. I just wish there was a way to only unlock in 3.1.2, but o well until pwnage tool is made for windows ill have to wait.

thanks everyone for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.