How to unlock a file

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 420benz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. 420benz macrumors 6502

420benz

One of my files says XLS with a lock icon on it. When i add more info it prompts [wright only]. How can i unlock this file?

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I think you right click the file and "get info". You should see a padlock at the bottom which you click on and enter your admin password.

I think.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's simply a file lock, right-click on it and "Get Info", then uncheck the "Locked" box. If it's an Excel file that's password-protected, you'd need the password to open or edit it.

4. 420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz

I did put a password lock on this file,but the file opens first which the password was to prevent.The only thing the password prevents is to add to the file.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may already know this, but there are two levels of password protection in Excel. You can require a password to modify a file, but you can also require a password to open/view a file.

6. 420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz

Unfortunately I don't know to do that.I had a step by step website called Mac in minutes. It did not work for me.I could not add the files to the icon that lookes like a hard drive.

----------

BTW: I have 3 files in a folder which is on the dock.I named it private. This is the folder I would like to password protect.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Take a screen shot of what you're talking about and post it.
    You can't password-protect a folder. You can create an encrypted disk image, but you can't lock a folder with a password in Mac OS X. Also, folders on your Dock are only aliases that point to folders on your Mac.

8. 420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz