how to unlock an iphone 4 on 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by antistars, Apr 2, 2011.

1. antistars macrumors newbie

with 3.10.01 firmware?

a quick google search tells me that it can't be done so far - but there are stores in my area and several websites where they claim to unlock any version of the iphone. there are also websites that claim to unlock any iphone but i don't know how legit they are and how risky the procedure is.

thanks in advance

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Those websites are a scam. Don't be fooled by them.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. antistars thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, well is there a way to go back to an earlier ios/firmware version so i can unlock it? or no dice?

5. Zermelo macrumors regular

It is NOT possible to downgrage the modem firmware. The sim card is the only way.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, its not possible to downgrade your baseband to unlock it.
    You either wait or go for the turbo sim.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you can't get the carrier unlock, you can try the gevey sim. YMMV.

9. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

You make it sound like a foregone conclusion that a SW unlock is coming. Need I remind you and everyone else that we are two months away from an iPhone 5 without a dang unlock? :eek:

MuscleNerd has resorted to childish tweets aimed at iPad youtube makers instead of providing an informed update on any progress or setbacks. The dev team should just hang up the boots, they don't originate their own stuff anymore and are obviously not up for the task.

At least they saved us all of us worldwide travelers the money when iPhone 5 comes out, since they obviously will endure the same struggle as the technology becomes more advanced. It's time for the dev team swan song.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just like you, me and most people out there we have no idea if or when a new unlock is coming.
    I'm just giving him the available options that's all.
    But unlike you I don't act like I'm entitled to someone elses work to provide me a FREE software unlock for my phone.
    If it happens I'd be appreciative instead of disrespectful.
    Have a good day.

11. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Cheers mate, just filling my weekly quota of a post or two voicing my unhappiness that this iPhone 4 is nothing more than a pretty paperweight.

Never was an iPod touch fan. I'm stuck with a 3GS that I'm beyond bored of. I might jump ship and get a Droid or similar on my next adventure, or go back to the ole reliable Blackberry. :(

12. APtalent macrumors regular

Go for the Gevey sim.

I'm using it for my iphone 4 and it's on T-Mobile now.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    I wouldnt want to get stuck with a phone that I cant use either.
    Either sell it and try to get an unlocked one or get another cellphone mate.
    Take care.
    AJ

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You have more options than others. Actually, few months ago, Dev team has come out with the method to unlock baseband 05.14 & 05.15 for 3G/3GS. It's seen like you decide not to use their tool to unlock yours. Otherwise, you have a 3GS phone and not just an ipod touch.

15. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

To clarify, my 3GS is unlocked. I'm just bored of it. The iPod touch is my iPhone 4. I use Skype on it when I'm home on Wifi, and surf around with it sometimes. Oh what could have been. :(

16. antistars thread starter macrumors newbie

all right, so i skimmed through the gevey topic, it sounds like a decent alternative and all, but honestly, is it worth it? after i install it, dial 112, turn on airplane mode, do all that jazz, does it have ANY drawbacks, like any at all? does it randomly switch off sometimes or anything of the like?

pondering if i should go through with this gevey thing or just sell it and get an unlocked iphone. thoughts?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you could sell it and get an unlocked one I'd suggest that instead.
    You can't beat a factory unlocked iPhone.

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you can wait for iPhone 5 to come out before you get your factory unlock, that'd keep you from buyer's remorse.

19. Zermelo macrumors regular

If you read through the longest gevey thread it seems that most people are reporting good experiences with it, including me. Not sure what else you want nothing is guaranteed. I had it for two weeks and I have NOT, repeat NOT had to redo the initial process.

However if you're not a risk taker than I'll suggest you skip it. I can't guarantee what the future holds or what's the legality about 112 or whether your sim will get banned, etc. At this point all you have to go by is users experiences, so its up to you to decide.