How to Unlock Copied HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by harryhood, Mar 30, 2016.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

I recently installed a new SSD into my iMac along side a new HD. I wiped the computer and installed a fresh OS with fresh files on my SSD.

On the HD, I copied all the files from my time machine backup directly onto the HD and many of the files are locked / unusable.

How do I unlock all the files on this drive? I changed the sharing & permissions of my music folder and it visually appears to be unlocked, but when I try to add my old library to iTunes on the SSD, it says:

"The iTunes Library.itl file is locked, on a locked disk or you do not have write permission on this file."

Does anyone know can I completely unlock all these files? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. BLUEDOG314 macrumors member

BLUEDOG314

You could use terminal and the chown (change ownership) command to recursively change ownership of all the files to your user that you set up after the fresh install.

3. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't that a huge risk to mess with permissions on a mass scale like that?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

1. Get to the finder

2. Click ONE time on the old HDD to select it

3. Type "command-i" to bring up the "get info" box

4. Down at the bottom, there is an area for sharing & permissions. If you can't see it, click the "disclosure triangle" to reveal it.

5. At the lower-right-hand corner, there's a "lock icon". Click it and enter your administrative password.

6. At the lower-left-hand corner, there's a checkbox "Ignore ownership on this volume". Put a checkmark into it.

7. Close the get info box.

How are things now?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Select the drive in Finder then hit command-i to bring up the Get Info window. Now look down on the bottom left and you will see a checkbox to Ignore Ownership on this drive... check that box and you should be all set.

6. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

That worked, don't know how I didn't see that 'ignore ownership' checkbox. Thanks dudes.