How to unlock External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kainselm, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Kainselm macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    External 120Gig firewire Hard drive became locked during one of the several swelling battery failures on my 17" MacBook Pro.

System info:
    Mac Book Pro 17"
    2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I have done the best I could with the available threads. Drive is still locked. I may be missing a critical step in the process. Is it possible for someone to walk me through it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Please post what you have already done. What error messages, if any, are you getting?
  3. Kainselm thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    Unlock Hard drive

I took the laptop and hard drive to the mac Genius bar and they tried a few lines of code in the Terminal app they got from the mac rumors forum. Besides selecting the Hard drive icon on the desktop and the command+I for get info and them trying all possible read and write options with no success, one of the Terminal code was something like this:

cd /Volumes
    chflags -R nouchg Portable\ HD
    drag my hard drive's icon into the Terminal window then hit ENTER

The Drive remains locked. It does NOT request password, I just get the following window:

The folder “Mike misc” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.
  4. karlkkm macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2006
    how to unlock external HD

Hello please help.
    I had computer meltdown and had to reformat the drive and reinstall system software. I have MacPower book 2.8 Ghz/ system version 10.6.3.
    when I go to reinstall my documents/applications from my external firewire hard drive ( LaCie) , I get an error "you don't have permission to see its contents". The fact is that I never had a password or ever locked the drive.
    So I did use the command as mentioned in the thread earlier
    (chflags nouchg /Volumes/Media\ Drive
    sudo chmod 1775 /Volumes/Media\ Drive
    echo "done")
    I get the following message and then asks for a password ??

drwxrwxrwt@ 5 root admin hidden 170 9 sept 12:36 .
    drwxrwxrw-t 29 root admin - 1054 9 sept 11:37 ..
    drw-rw-r-T 36 root admin uchg 1292 1sept 11:40 mac Os X Install disc 1
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin - 1 9sept 11:36 Macintosh Hd -> /
    drw-rw-r-T 51 root kuldipmalhotra staff ucgh 1802 1 sept 11:28 Untitiled 2

Thanks for any help to get my documents and backed up files back.