Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
GF of mine has a 3G iPhone on firmware 4.2. We did jail break it do get SBSetting; but I am slightly confused on how to unlock her device. She is going to T-Mobile soon.

So, is there a good guide online on how to do this or if it's too much risk, is it possible to revert her back to 3.1.3 to JB and then unlock her phone there?

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Piece of cake just did it on mine tonight.

Restore to 4.2.1 with itunes.
Launch redsn0w, select ipad baseband, continue with your options in that program.
Let redsn0w do its thing.
When it's jailbroken launch Cydia and install ultrasn0w.
Reboot, done.

You'll need PwnageTool to make a custom firmware file however if you need to restore, as using a stock firmware file will leave your phone stuck in recovery mode.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX

Launch redsn0w, select ipad baseband, continue with your options in that program.
Reboot, done.

You'll need PwnageTool to make a custom firmware file however if you need to restore, as using a stock firmware file will leave your phone stuck in recovery mode.

Awesome thanks!!

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Yes, it's called redsn0w.

No on PwnageTool however.

Seems if you need to restore after performing this process you'll be required to go back to 4.1 firmware with that ipad baseband due to 4.2.1 performing a baseband check and refusing to come out of recovery mode if it doesn't match. You can either use tiny umbrella to go back to 4.1 if you have your shsh, otherwise use pwnagetool to build a custom 4.1 firmware with ipad baseband and restore with that. Yuck.

Last edited:

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010

Reboot, done.

No, no, no.

What baseband is your iphone currently on?

If it is not on 05.14 or 05.15 then there is no need to put the ipad baseband on your phone to unlock it. Just create a custom IPSW using Pwnage 4.1.3 (see iclarified.com for tutorial) and then jailbreak it with that. Then install Ultrasn0w via cydia. That way your baseband gets preserved.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
No, no, no.

If it is not on 05.14 or 05.15 then there is no need to put the ipad baseband on your phone to unlock it. Just create a custom IPSW using Pwnage 4.1.3 (see iclarified.com for tutorial) and then jailbreak it with that. Then install Ultrasn0w via cydia. That way your baseband gets preserved.
As the kids say, "this."

And note, if you want multitasking to work on the 3G (technically, the app switching), they changed things up with 4.2 and Springboard will crash unless you fix another parameter. See http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323402

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
No, no, no.

Yes yes yes.

Op said "GF of mine has a 3G iPhone on firmware 4.2." Now there is an assumption being made here, but most people who are already asking for help on this have probably screwed up and updated to the most current firmware. Oh how some love to rush to installing new firmware on their iphone without considering the consequences.

In that case all you have left is my method.

Ideally you would want bb preserved and would use PwangeTool, but I bet dollars to donuts I assumed correctly. Only the Op can comment on this...

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Then you really should find out for sure what is on the phone before doing anything at this point. I would hate to see you put ipad modem firmware on that phone unless you absolutely have to. If it is 5.14.02 or higher then you have no choice if you need that unlock.

OhioLefty

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
I've done so much reading I think I know enough to be dangerous. I have a 3GS on iOS v3.1.2 and baseband 5.11.07 and the "old" BootROM (bought new in Aug., 09, week 29 in SN). I JB with blackra1n and unlocked with blacksn0w the week after it was released. Everything has been working perfect since. I would like to (or at least I think I do) preserve my baseband and full funtionality (don't want to lose my GPS) of my 3GS but I'm just not clear on the best way to do it. I have never used pwnage to create my own custom IPSW and the only JB I know is the incredibly easy JBs that GeoHot has released (do you think he might release something similar soon?). I really don't want to risk screwing up because I really depend on my Cydia apps. Why upgrade then? I'm starting to run into more and more apps that require iOS v4 or later.

I know there is someone here that will be able help me if you haven't already run out of patience. ;)

Thanks in advance...

perlmn

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Friends I have similar problem but the situation is different. I updateded to 4.2 OS without knowing that my iphone 3G will get locked. And after upgrade when my sim card did not get recognized , I tried searching it on google and came to know that I messed up with my iphone. Now I even dont know what baseband it was running on previously

In my previous question on this forum , somebody adviced me to wait for a while untill untehtered version is out for 4.2. Are we lucky enough to get that version out yet ? What do you guys think I should do in this situation ?

you guys are great help
thanks a lot
-perl

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Friends I have similar problem but the situation is different. I updateded to 4.2 OS without knowing that my iphone 3G will get locked. And after upgrade when my sim card did not get recognized , I tried searching it on google and came to know that I messed up with my iphone. Now I even dont know what baseband it was running on previously

In my previous question on this forum , somebody adviced me to wait for a while untill untehtered version is out for 4.2. Are we lucky enough to get that version out yet ? What do you guys think I should do in this situation ?

you guys are great help
thanks a lot
-perl

Actually you have the same exact problem/situation as the OP of this thread.
I told the OP how to unlock in post 2 in this thread. Since you are on 4.2.1 also and most likely now have 5.14.02 modem firmware (or higher) you need to follow my instructions to unlock. If you have a lower modem firmware then PwnageTool is your friend and the preferred method of jailbreaking/unlocking.

3G has an untethered jailbreak via redsn0w.

perlmn

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Thats awesome ! , I will be doing this for first time so I want to be little careful so I was trying to find steps with screenshots and found this link

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12949

It looks like the link provides same steps what you mentioned can you please confim if it is fine to follow the steps mentioned in above link

Thanks
perl

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Maybe someone else can. That particular site has taken content from me in the past without permission so I prefer not to comment about them. My steps as written worked for me. I don't care about losing gps on my 3G as I hate that phone and never use it anyway. I keep it around merely as a test bench to make tutorials with.

perlmn

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
ok fine..do you recommend any other site or tutorial I can look at so that I can jailbreak and unlock easily ?

thanks again
perl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.