how to unlock iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrkramer, May 9, 2011.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm trying to figure out how to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 3g. Currently it's on stock 4.2.1, and baseband 5.15.4. I know I need to upgrade to the iPad baseband, and will probably loose GPS by doing that, but it's not a big deal. I'm just not sure exactly how to do that. I've tried searching, and most threads that I find are for the 3gs, not 3g, I'm also getting more and more confused the more I search. I'd appreciate it if someone could link to a nice step by step guide to do it. Thanks.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Another option is to go to the dev team's blog. They're the creators of ultrasnow and the ipad bb hack.

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

thanks. I just tried following that, and I got to the point where it was downloading the iPad baseband, at which point Redsn0w crashed. so now my iPhone is in DFU, iTunes detects it, but I'm not sure if it's safe to restore and try again, or what I should do.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If it was just Redsn0w trying to download the iPad bb and not your actual iPhone installing it, a full restore should not be a problem and you should still be on your old baseband. Try restoring and try re-downloading the most updated Redsn0w software from another location.

5. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well, after 2 or 3 tries with redsn0w it was still crashing in the same place, but I found another tutorial on iClarified using Pwnage tool, and it worked. So I'm now upgraded to the iPad baseband and unlocked.

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI