Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archjab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
my thread title speaks for itself..
how do i unlock my iphone 3gs, I upgraded to firmware 4.1 because I accidentally clicked reset netwok settings, then my iphone just went to restore mode and i have to underwent thru the DFU mode. I jailbroke it using limera1n. but am not getting any signal from my network carrier.. I am residing here in the philippines. How do i unlock my iphone 3gs firmware 4.1 with modem firmware 5.14.02? please help me... thank you very much in advance...

smashhell

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
there are currently no unlock method for ios 4.1 with firmware 5.14.02

you will have to wait like the rest of us I am afraid. =/

turbotea

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
i'm in the same boat with you. i reseted all my settings to save time instead of deleting one by one and my iphone got stuck. i was going to give it to my gf's mom and she didnt want all that junk on it that i had before. updated now it just sits there waiting for a new unlock to be released. so let hope they release something real soon

djinni999

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
go to the tinyumbrella site and browse around. i remember a post detailing how to DOWNGRADE baseband. you'll need your shsh blobs most likely. i'm not sure if it'll work 100% for the 3gs, give it a try.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You can only use Tiny Umbrella to keep your baseband from being upgraded (and I believe that only works for iphone 4).

go to the tinyumbrella site and browse around. i remember a post detailing how to DOWNGRADE baseband. you'll need your shsh blobs most likely. i'm not sure if it'll work 100% for the 3gs, give it a try.

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
any news?

moved to the UK and my AT&T iPhone 3GS can't be used as a phone (but make a fine ipod touch) here unless I can unlock it.

thanks.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you use twitter, follow the devteam and musclenerd. However, you're not likely to see an unlock until 4.2 (at the earliest)--assuming you see one at all.

moved to the UK and my AT&T iPhone 3GS can't be used as a phone (but make a fine ipod touch) here unless I can unlock it.

thanks.

dean2312

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
just a thought

thanks.

Just a thought - if your At&T phone was legitimately out of contract - contact them and ask them to contact Apple to have it unlocked.

They dont advertise this readily - but I can assure they have to do it. (if your out of contract obviously)
Did this to my 32GB 3gs when the contract was up - took a couple of days

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Really? Not to sound suspicious, but others have posted about how they're out of contract and have gotten in touch with AT&T to unlock it (one was a soldier who was stationed in a foreign country). None of these people had any success.
When were you able to get an official unlock from Apple?
Just a thought - if your At&T phone was legitimately out of contract - contact them and ask them to contact Apple to have it unlocked.

They dont advertise this readily - but I can assure they have to do it. (if your out of contract obviously)

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008

I'd heard that before and told the AT&T senior supervisor that, but she assured me that this was impossible.

We'll see if it helps any but I filed an online complaint with the FCC about this. In the past FCC complaints have been sure fire ways to get speedy resolution on cust sat matters. Wall St analysts track how many FCC complaints the telcos get as a litmus test on true cust sat. The thinking is that if someone goes to all the trouble to file an FCC complaint they must really be pissed off. So the telcos like AT&T generally go to great lengths to appease FCC complainers.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Really? Not to sound suspicious, but others have posted about how they're out of contract and have gotten in touch with AT&T to unlock it (one was a soldier who was stationed in a foreign country). None of these people had any success.
When were you able to get an official unlock from Apple?

No, no official unlock to any US iPhones at all so far.

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Don't know if this would work for you ghileman but if your phone is legitimately out of contract and you are now in the UK it's worth going into an O2 store and asking for a Simplicity SIM (it's a rolling 1 month contact deal) if they activate it for you and register it onto their network when it downloads the carrier files it might just relock to O2.

Of course, once you finish your 1 month contract with O2 you use their online form to have your phone completely unlocked.

Not 100% sure it would work but it's certainly worth a go.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
A US locked iphone will only work with AT&T sims.
And 02 or any other wireless provider cannot unlock iphones locked to other carriers.
It wont recognize 02 or any other companies sim cards.

Don't know if this would work for you ghileman but if your phone is legitimately out of contract and you are now in the UK it's worth going into an O2 store and asking for a Simplicity SIM (it's a rolling 1 month contact deal) if they activate it for you and register it onto their network when it downloads the carrier files it might just relock to O2.

Of course, once you finish your 1 month contract with O2 you use their online form to have your phone completely unlocked.

Not 100% sure it would work but it's certainly worth a go.

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Fair enough.

I wasn't sure that it works coming from the US to Uk, but it certainly works going from the UK to US as I have friend who had a locked iPhone 3GS on O2 (before they did the official unlock) and all he had to do was sign up to an AT&T contract and when AT&T registered his phone it became (and remains) locked to AT&T.

Just thought it might work the same coming this way.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
A locked iphone to 02 without beeing officially unlocked was used on AT&T?
And then it became locked to AT&T? Yeah right, thats not how it works.
AT&T cannot "register" or unlock/relock an iphone from another carrier to their network.
Maybe it was officially unlocked first and then they used it on AT&T.

Fair enough.

I wasn't sure that it works coming from the US to Uk, but it certainly works going from the UK to US as I have friend who had a locked iPhone 3GS on O2 (before they did the official unlock) and all he had to do was sign up to an AT&T contract and when AT&T registered his phone it became (and remains) locked to AT&T.

Just thought it might work the same coming this way.

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Maybe it was. Just reporting what he told me, I don't claim to be an expert by any means but thought it might be worth a go.

I haven't seen him since he moved to NY but he said all he had tondo was sign up to an AT&T contract, they plugged it in and downloaded some file (I was assuming it would be the carrier settings, but don't know). A few minutes later he was up and running with his UK phone on AT&T, but as you say maybe he was incorrect at it being locked in the first place.

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
what about this idea?

what if i could get the UK apple store to swap my current locked to AT&T iphone 3GS with a new one. any phone the apple store provides me wouldn't be locked to AT&T. then i put an O2 sim card in the new phone and restore via iTunes. will the AT&T lock be transfered from my iTunes account to this new sourced from the UK 3GS? or would iTunes see that I have a new sim card from O2 and not relock to AT&T?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
what if i could get the UK apple store to swap my current locked to AT&T iphone 3GS with a new one. any phone the apple store provides me wouldn't be locked to AT&T. then i put an O2 sim card in the new phone and restore via iTunes. will the AT&T lock be transfered from my iTunes account to this new sourced from the UK 3GS? or would iTunes see that I have a new sim card from O2 and not relock to AT&T?

Yes I believe when they put in your old iPhones serial number in their system to do the swap the same lock will be transfered over to the replacement.

elektronik

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
hey guys. I'm a new poster, and im kind of desperate to resolve this issue. I unlocked my iphone 3gs (os 4.1, firmware 5.14.02) with limera1n, which worked great, and then unlocked with ultrasn0w, not realizing that my firmware was not yet supported. My question is this: is there a newer ultrasn0w that will support 5.14.02 out, or coming out soon? And if not, can i get rid of my ultrasn0w unlock? The iPhone still works fine, except that now i can't get a signal, even with my valid ATT simcard. Any help is appreciated. I'm happy to get rid of ultrasn0w or limera1n if it will get my service back on my phone. Thanks all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
hey guys. I'm a new poster, and im kind of desperate to resolve this issue. I unlocked my iphone 3gs (os 4.1, firmware 5.14.02) with limera1n, which worked great, and then unlocked with ultrasn0w, not realizing that my firmware was not yet supported. My question is this: is there a newer ultrasn0w that will support 5.14.02 out, or coming out soon? And if not, can i get rid of my ultrasn0w unlock? The iPhone still works fine, except that now i can't get a signal, even with my valid ATT simcard. Any help is appreciated. I'm happy to get rid of ultrasn0w or limera1n if it will get my service back on my phone. Thanks all.

Yes remove ultrasnow. It's not compatible with your bb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.