How to unlock iPhone that's in my name

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

i got an iPhone 7 my little 8 year old sister put a code in it and she don't remember the code. I can prove it's my phone I pay on it monthly anyway to get into it? Thanks guys. It's through verizon
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017 ---
    Oh I also have the gmail passcode and user name.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017 ---
    I don't really want to restore the phone since it has irreplaceable pics on it.

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Can you define "code"? Do you mean the 4 or 6 digit pass code? If you don't know that, you will have to wipe the phone and then restore it from your backup... (you DO have a backup, right?)

3. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No backup and the 4 digit code

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Do you have your original receipt from Verizon? Take that along with the phone to your local Apple Store and ask them to unlock it for you. Make sure you can prove ownership of the phone and take along your picture ID.

5. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can get a receipt but The only problem is there's no Apple Store anywhere near me. Closes one is like 2 hours away

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Not aware that this is possible... with original receipt, Apple will remove the iCloud/activation lock ... have never heard of them removing the passcode lock.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sorry but time for a ride to the Apple store.

No choices here. Need the receipt and photo ID.

8. SparklyPickle macrumors member

Your phone most certainly backed up to iCloud (or photos, at least) so you are good to restore your phone!

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's a horrible assumption for YOU to make at the risk of HIS irreplaceable information. Bad advice.

10. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

From what I remember, in order to change the pass code you must first enter the original pass code that you programmed. Does the little girl know your original pass code, how could she know? Or you had never programmed a pass code before? May be that is more like it?

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I'm not even going to ask why you gave your phone to a 8 yr old without instructing her that anything under Settings was off limits.

12. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Again, if you have forgotten the password/passcode that locks your device, your only option is to wipe it and if you have a backup, restore it from the backup. If you have no backup, then you are SOL.

Can you get into the phone with TouchID? If so, you should be able to get into the device (DON'T TURN IT OFF)... and do a backup to iCloud of via iTunes... then wipe it and restore it from the newly made backup. But without the TouchID access, you cannot do a backup because it will not backup in the locked state.

If you can't do any of the above, just wipe it, start over and chalk it up to 'lesson learned'.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't seem like that would be of much help when it comes to passcodes on devices.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    Well, even with "instructions", humans (and especially those of a younger age) are known not to necessarily follow them.

14. eyoungren, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Statement assumes the service is being used, or that OP is meeting the requirements that trigger an iCloud backup. Statement further assumes that any iCloud backup automatically completed. That's not always the case.

In short, a whole lot of assumptions in that statement.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How does going to the Apple Store help with a passcode on the device? Its not iCloud Activation locked. Apple cannot remove a passcode. The only way is to restore.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Do you have 10 tries or unlimited?

If the latter, get cracking.