How to Unlock Your Mac With Your Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2016.

1. magbarn macrumors 68000

Assuming you have a late 2011 iMac it is possible to enable handoff/airdrop/Apple Watch unlock. You have to be gutsy enough to do it. Look up BCM94360CD upgrade for your iMac.

2. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Nice! Yeah, I was dreading doing that. I think part of the Keyes though, is actually signing in to the Macbook with your AppleID with two-factor verification turned on. Maybe why you had to sign out and back in again? Mine prompted me to put in my AppleID password again, and then two-factor verification came up, and then it worked.

3. martinorob macrumors newbie

martinorob

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

5. privateryanuk macrumors member

privateryanuk

I don't mind the notification on the watch after it unlocks the macbook, but it's a shame it has to buzz AND ping! It would be nice if you could configure the notification to just do a standard notification buzz once without invoking prominent haptics and a sound notification :rolleyes: I know you can turn sound off, but that affects all notifications - it's just this one that gets annoying.

Although, that said, I guess it's annoying because I'm the one unlocking my mac - if somehow someone were to unlock my mac with my watch/me nearby and the watch didn't let me know loudly/prominently enough, I'm sure I'd soon be whinging :confused:

6. cdrogers macrumors newbie

cdrogers

The Disable automatic login feature was only shown for me, after I disabled FileVault encryption on my drive. Once I chose to disable the encryption, the option was shown, and checked. Once Disable automatic login was unchecked, and the remainder of the requirements were set, it unlocked via Apple Watch without a problem.

--cdrogers81

7. 960design macrumors 68030

Works 10 times out of 10 for me on 3 different macs. iMac, MBPr and MacAir

8. DeepIn2U, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018