How to Unofficially Tether via wifi using your smartphone

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by aohus, Apr 5, 2010.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

Would I be able to tether my smartphone to the ipad through bluetooth? Does it support data over bluetooth?

What about tethering for instance, my blackberry to the wifi on my ipad?

Assuming that the ipad is fully jailbroken, would this be possible?

Thanks in advanced.

2. citi macrumors 65816

citi

noone knows until it's jailbroken. You can tether right now via wi-fi. I do it from my moto droid and it's works perfectly. I don't know that BB has a wi-fi output app that doesn't require you to install a smaller piece on the tethered computer.

3. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

apologies, but how to tether via wifi? is there a particular app i need? thanks in advanced.

btw im using a blackberry storm

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

As a non-jailbroken device, if you look at Apple's information page it informs you that on the iPad:

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

You're making no sense... Bluetooth tethering over WiFi? What?

You can't officially tether anything to the iPad, however if you have a phone you can make into a WiFi hotspot (for example, most recent Symbian smartphones can do this with the right app) there's nothing stopping you from doing that, but for actual tethering you'll have to wait until the jailbreak is launched to the public.

6. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Let me clarify. Please read carefully before stating 'I am making no sense.'

I asked if tethering via bluetooth is possible.

Then I asked if tethering via wifi is possible.

What I'm trying to figure out now as this moment is, how do I *unofficially* tether my blackberry device to my ipad via wifi.

Thanks in advanced to whomever can answer this question. Is there an app i need for the blackberry device itself? Thanks.

7. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Not as a stock iPad. See my post two above this. There is no Bluetooth profile for it and, as the iPhones are the same way, they'll never put a profile in for it.

A jailbreak may be able to modify that but that will be a while coming.

Tethering via wifi is always an option. I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G running MyWi and my other iPhone and my Macbook Pro can connect to it and use it with no issues.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Ahh I see.

I don't think BlackBerries can become hotspots I'm afraid. I could be wrong, but last time I checked, there was no app for it and the WiFi hardware inside BlackBerries isn't capable of it. However, I think there was some seperate hardware you could buy for $20 that'd do it.

9. Alectric macrumors regular

My wife just received a a blackberry curve from work and was wonder the samething. Does anyone know if there is an app available in the blackberry store that would allow for tethering to the iPad? Thanks in advance.

10. peafour macrumors newbie

Which app are you using on your droid to tether? Does it cost extra? I'm thinking about getting a droid and am VERY curious about this.

11. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Pretty sure you can root your Droid and install an application called "WiFi Tether." There are others too.

12. peafour macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info!

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

storm 1 or storm 2? im pretty sure the original storm doesnt even have wifi.

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Yup, first generation Storm has no WiFi hardware at all, so you're out of luck if that's what you've got.