How to untether a 3GS (old bootrom) on 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adster, Jan 17, 2011.

1. adster macrumors regular

So I upgraded my 3GS to 4.2.1 in hopes to jailbreak. I've been reading everywhere that since November, the old bootrom 3GS's can boot untethered. Well, I've run redsn0w a handful of times and it's still forcing me to be tethered. (stuck on Apple logo)

Is there something special that I need to do that I'm just skipping over? In the popup menu, I told redsn0w it's an old bootrom, so it should be good. Maybe point it to certain firmware? I would use PwnageTool, but I need it hactivated so that won't work at the moment.

Thanks!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Try this...

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12944

Edit: I missed read your post. just check that you are doing all the steps.

3. adster thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for that. Yeah, those are the exact steps I'm doing. The only difference is the tutorial was using redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and the only one available to download now is 0.9.7b6, so that may make a difference. (don't see why tho?)

I'll keep working on this and see what else I can find. I'm gonna try to find that redsn0w version as well. Thanks!

4. krib macrumors newbie

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

My advise would be to check that you have the old bootrom. The problem you are experiencing sounds a lot like you are dealing with a new Bootrom.

6. adster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone! 0.9.6rc8 ended up working. Wonder why 0.9.7b6 didn't work, but oh well it works now :)