How to Update 2008 MacBook Pro OS Software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beantown, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Beantown macrumors member

Hey guys, I just got the iPhone 5, so to get it up and running I need the new iTunes (10.7). To get the new iTunes I need 10.6.8 or something like that, where as right now I have 10.5 I believe. How can I get my software updated so I can get the new iTunes and get my phone up and running.

Thanks.

-Bean

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

If your laptop was purchased close to the release date of 10.6 (Snow leopard June 8, 2009), then I believe you are eligible for a free update.

If however, you purchased it much earlier than that date, you will need to purchase a physical disk the 10.6 OS install.

At this point, I'm not sure if apple still sells these, but you can check with applecare or customer service. The cost is 30$

Mountain Lion, 10.8, is the latest Mac OS. You can also upgrade to this for 20 dollars, but you need to first install 10.6...

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There is a limited window where you can take advantage of the free update offer. Pretty sure it's within 30 days of the software release.

You could probably pick up a used copy on eBay, or one of the many retailers that buy and sell used Apple computers and accessories. Alternatively, contact Apple and see if they can help you out.