How to update 3G Software 2.2 TO 3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bhavna, Nov 5, 2009.

1. bhavna macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have no idea what jailbreak and firmware is

I have a 3g version 2.2. The fone works fine and i can make calls. I want to upgrade it to 3.1. However, I cant do it through itunes as i didnt buy it from the apple store. My friend says it will get locked if i do it.

Pls help

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You can update and keep your unlock.

Here's what you should do:

First, connect your phone to your computer and use iTunes to update your phone to 3.1.2

Next, follow this tutorial carefully: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5885

It involves you downloading a piece of software called Blackra1n, running it on your PC with your iPhone connected, then running some software that it installs on your iPhone. It's pretty easy.

3. bhavna thread starter macrumors newbie

I upgraded using blackra1n and now i have OS 3.1 05.11.07, phone works just fine...

I want to know how I can download cydia, i tried searching online but its quite confusing. Alsa I need to know how to install themes on my fone

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Open the Blackra1n App on your phone, hit cydia then hit install. For themes, install winterboard and your selected theme off cydia.

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

And for the unlock, include sn0w as well. That's an option when you run Blackra1n.app on your phone.

6. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

I'm currently on 2.2 with an unlocked/jailbroke iphone 3g.
    Would i use the same method as the above? (update, then blackrain)
    Will this guarantee my unlock, with the latest firmware? (whatever that is)

Thanks

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You could, but there's a new version of RedSn0w out which is probably a bit more foolproof:

See this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=857488