How to update a jailbroken iPod Touch without app/data loss?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mixtape86, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mixtape86 macrumors newbie

mixtape86

Hey guys, I've gotten countless help from this site for my mobile troubles. I figured I'd give it a try for the iPod Touch.

I have a jailbroken 32gb iPod Touch. This is the older model without the volume rocker or internal speaker :eek:. I purchased this Touch used about a year ago already jailbroken so I'm not sure the much about jailbreaking. When the iPod powers on, it shows a giant multicolored Apple with words similar to "iPwned with WinPwn."

I added a few apps/changed the theme and have been very happy with the device :D. I honestly had no need to update to 3.1.X ...well, until I played with my friends jailbroken 3.1.X :wow:. I love the new features and I noticed that many apps I have now cannot be updated due to having an out dated software version.

Unfortunately I heard that I will lose all my jailbroken apps and my iPod's appearance settings (WinterBoard) if I update my iPod. That's what kept me from updating in the past. I know it's been a few months since I last read up on the matter, but is there a way to go from jailbroken 2.0.1 to the newest jailbroken version without losing anything? If so, can anyone tell me how, or point me to an "up-to-date" method of how? I'm not a technology n00b, but iPhones/iPod Touches are not my specialties. In the software world, things are constantly changing. I found a few tutorials via a Google search, but the posted date is from months ago : (.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mixtape86 thread starter macrumors newbie

mixtape86

3. Seuachi macrumors newbie

I have no idea either...

I have been asking myself this question but I haven't found the answer that I have been looking for either...I hope there is a way though...

4. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I don't know the exact process, but you have to use AptBackup from Cydia. That will backup your Cydia apps and stuff.

Then your backup your iPod regularly from iTunes, update to new firmware, re-jailbreak, download AptBackup from Cydia, and that should restore all your JB stuff.

I'm not 100% sure on this, as I've never had to do this, but consider following some video tutorials on YouTube. I'm sure they have those kinds of videos.

BTW, ugliest theme I've seen on an iPod :p