How to Update Apple Watch's watchOS Software

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

watchOS is the operating system that runs on the Apple Watch, powering its fitness tracking capabilities, apps, communication features, time-keeping abilities, and more. Apple plans to push regular updates to fix watchOS bugs, refine performance, and introduce new features, and the release of watchOS 2 alongside iOS 9 later today is a major uprade for the platform. (Update: Apple has delayed the public release of watchOS 2.)

[​IMG]

watchOS updates are installed in a unique way that differs from how we install iPhone and Mac updates, so we've crafted a quick tutorial to remind users how to get the latest version of watchOS on their Apple Watches so they're ready for watchOS 2.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Update Apple Watch's watchOS Software

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Thanks for the detailed and timely tutorial. I didn't know how to update the Watch prior to reading this.

4. tasset macrumors 6502a

Pro tip: budget yourself a long, long, LOOONNG amount of time for the update to take place. Perhaps overnight. It is a brutal wait.

5. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Where are the rumors of the slimmer more powerful Apple Watch 2? Shouldn't they be due for early next year?

6. patjem macrumors member

patjem

Thanks for this great article. Will start charging my AW now to be ready . I've ordered pizza and Coca Cola!

7. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Is anyone else getting the response 'Unable to Check for Update' ?

8. WarHeadz, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You're celebrating a software update with pizza and coke? Hope you don't use Windows 10 or you'd be obese by now.

Edit: Ouch, bet you wish you didn't order that pizza so soon. No software update for the Watch today. :(

9. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Native OS2 Watch apps with their own complications are being approved in the App Store.
    I updated WaterMinder and I'm sorry to report that it has crashed every time after long waiting times. Not good. I had so much faith in native apps finally making third party apps useful.

10. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

No it doesn't take all night. Installed multiple times never more than ~ an hour. To your point an hour is a long time for an update to occur.

11. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Updated last Wednesday with the 2.0 GM and it was about 1.5 hours to complete. It feels like it was way longer but not the case. It feels like forever because much of the update looks like nothing is happening.

12. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Wait, I need my charger? Ungh, my charger is at my bedside. Guess I'll have to wait until after work. :-(

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I just saw in my Twitter feed that Apple found a bug in watchOS 2 and won't be releasing it today.

14. 2457244 macrumors regular

Why is there no create back-up option someplace?

I've looked in iTunes > preference and once in a while I back-up my iPhone and iPad those backs are nicely listed in iTunes. I wished I also could list my Apple Watch back-up in that same list.

15. msi92 macrumors member

msi92

Hope thats a joke, if not link? :p

16. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

How's that pizza tasting with the delay? :)

17. c1phers macrumors regular

Yeah it was a requirement with the previous update as well. I really wish the charger wasn't a requirement, I wonder what the technical reason is if the watch has plenty of charge on it.

18. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Wow, you have to have 50% charge and plug it in? I was looking forward to this update but wish I had known that before leaving for work today. Would have made sure I had my cable in my bag. Unlike a lightning cable it's not something that is just lying around or that I can borrow from anyone, lol.

I freaking love WaterMinder and rely on it every day now. I hardly get headaches now after using it for a few months. Too bad it's crashing a bunch. Do you think it's crashing because it needs Watch OS 2.0 to work properly? Or have you already installed the GM? Will these apps suddenly start breaking a bunch for people who haven't upgraded their Watch? Because that seems kinda silly.

Reading up on these "native" apps, it doesn't seem like they're really much better than what we had before. I hope my interpretation is wrong, but I think many of us are bound to be disappointed. It's really a shame considering this thing is basically an iPhone 4S inside.

19. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Nope, it's for real. Check Macrumors.

20. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

The technical reason is that it likely wouldn't perform well with the size of the update. It took years until the phone was able to do a non-cabled update, and I imagine the watch is technically even harder to do that with.

21. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I have the watchOS2 GM installed. I've tried everything including uninstalling Waterminder and putting it back.

If it were to work, I love the idea of trying to complete a water ring in my complications. It's always there so you won't forget.

22. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This bug you're seeing may be why they pulled the AWOS 2 release today.

23. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

It looks like you can start downloading it before it gets to 50%, that might give it time to top off.

I was surprised at how fast the phone charged, I forgot to charge it last night and it was at 16% this morning and about 90 minutes later it was at 100% (it might have been at 100% before that, that's just when I looked).

EDIT: I just realized that (of course) you wanted to update while at work. Duh!

Gary

24. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I guess cold pizza taste best? LOL Hopefully you aren't kept waiting too long as even refrigerated pizza goes bad.

25. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Update: Waterminder suddenly started working. It's the first native app on watchOS2 and it turns on instantly! As you zoom in with the digital crowd from the app screen, it already comes in with your water percentage displayed.

The complication also works: [​IMG]

26. YoFromPhilly macrumors newbie

YoFromPhilly

THANK YOU for this, I had no idea. My Apple Watch had the old 1.0.1 update already installed when I got it.