How to update jailbroken iPhone 3gs 3.1.3

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ahbba, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Ahbba macrumors member

Hi I would like to update my iPhone 3gs. It's on firmware 3.1.3 and I would like to update it to the latest firmware or to 4.1. How can I update without losing the jailbreak?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Once you update/restore you'll lose the jailbreak. Then you'd have to rejailbreak your iPhone.

You can go to 4.1 with a custom ipsw only if you have the SHSH saved. Or you can upgrade to 4.2.1 with a custom ipsw so you can keep your current baseband.

3. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

Ok. I don't have my shsh file saved and it's too late to do so now right?how can I update to 4.2.1 with a custom ipsw?If I update using the custom ipsw will I still have te jailbreak?

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You'll have to re-jailbreak no matter what. You are restoring the phone when you update, so all data is erased and replaces with Apple's stock firmware.

The SHSH blob is only useful if you are trying to update to 4.1, 4.2.1 you will not need to use any saved SHSH's.

5. Ahbba, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

i used a program called tinyumbrella to save the shsh blog. i clicked save shsh and located it. but the shsh file says iphone-4.2.1.shsh. is it supposed to be 4.2.1 or 3.1.3?