How to? Update/ refresh Status Bar Bluetooth Icon Menu

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by RichardF, Dec 15, 2014.

1. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Does anyone know how to update the list of Bluetooth devices in the Bluetooth Icon menu?

The iPhone 5 listed on there is gone (removed from System Preferences >Bluetooth) and yet it still shows.

Attached Files:

2. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

It's got to be deleting a preference file somewhere. ;(

Anyone knows which one(s) please?

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I'd guess it's in the com.apple.bluetooth.plist file that's located in /library/preferences (not in your user directory). There's a section in there for devices and also for cached info. I'd probably try making a back-up copy of the file, then editing it to delete the unwanted item from the device list and/or cache. Another one to try is just use a util like Onyx and go into its "Cleaning" section, then the system sub-section and uncheck all but "other system components" inn the delete cache options - that *might* do it....oh yeah!

4. RichardF, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

TYVM for posting.
    I first tried Onyx and did all the cleaning it was possible to do.

But the ghost phone was still there.

Then I located com.apple.bluetooth.plist in /library/preferences (made a copy of it in the desktop) and trashed the original file before restarting.
    That deleted all my paired Bluetooth devices in System Preferences > Bluetooth and emptied the list of devices from the Status Bar Bluetooth icon menu.
    Thank you very much. A bit overkill but I will gladly repair each device instead of having that ghost device there. :D