Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Like iPhones, iPads, Macs, the Apple Watch, and the Apple TV, the HomePod and HomePod mini are updated with new software on a regular basis. The most recent update was released on March 7, and enables Siri to learn what your preferred media service is.

HomePod-2-and-HomePod-Mini.jpeg

By default, updates are installed on your HomePod devices automatically, but there's also a way to force an update if new software is released. However, Apple's auto-update function isn't typically immediate, so it can sometimes be handy to have a way to manually install software when you know an update has become available.

update-homepod-17.4.jpg

Locating HomePod updates and checking on the software version you have installed is pretty simple, but it's not entirely intuitive because the update function is buried in the Home app.

The following steps show you how to update your HomePod on devices running iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 and later.
  1. Open the Home app.
  2. Tap on the icon that looks like three dots in the upper right corner.
  3. Tap Home Settings in the dropdown menu that appears.
  4. Scroll down and tap Software Update to see if there are any available updates.
Once you've selected "Software Update," you'll be able to see the current version of the HomePod software that you have installed, along with available updates, and you can toggle off automatic updates if you want.

If there is an available update, you just need to tap the Install button to update your HomePod. If you have multiple HomePods in your home, each one will be updated at the same time through this software update feature. If you're registered for HomePod Beta Updates, a menu option will also appear here for updating individual HomePods.

Article Link: How to Update to HomePod Software 17.4

Last edited:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Wait - isn’t that upper-left corner arrow icon for Location Services?

Regardless, as iOS matures, it seems the intuitive nature that helped make it the now defacto handheld, is eroding.
In my own informal study, I feel I’m having to explain how to navigate the OS for my wife, mom, etc. more than ever. And in many cases, I can no longer automatically walk them through the process. I have to go do it myself. And almost everyone of those attempts, is not something I can run through on 1st pass.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I’m starting to think the HomePod needs its own app. To control software update, volume, eq, Siri, etc. All within one app, rather than being split across 3 places as it is now.
Agreed, it isn’t even a home automation device and currently doesn’t have triggers or actions. I have no idea why they crammed it into the Home app, except maybe to get more people to notice the Home app and explore what it does.

The only thing that I can think of is that AirPlay 2 commands are highly dependent on the concept of Rooms (“play music in the bedroom”) and Home already establishes those. Far from ideal though.

Last edited:

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I have two HomePods. One is running 11.2.5 (15D59,) and the other 11.2.5 (15D61.)

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Agreed, it isn’t even a home automation device and currently doesn’t have triggers or actions. I have no idea why they crammed it into the Home app, except maybe to get more people to notice the Home app and explore what it does.

The only thing that I can think of is that AirPlay 2 commands are highly dependent on the concept of Rooms (“play music in the bedroom”) and Home already establishes those. Far from ideal though.

It's a HomeKit hub. An Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) or iPad (left on and at home all the time) could also do that job. The hub allows remote access from an iPhone associated with the same Apple ID. Without the hub, I guess you only have local WiFi access.

Reactions: dustin_

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
This article needs updating, not sure if it’s a change with iOS11.4 but the steps are

1. Open Home
  2. Tap on the icon on the top-left
  3. Scroll down to the ‘Speakers’ section
  4. Tap on ‘Software Update’
  5. Follow the information on there.
HTH

- D

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I’m starting to think the HomePod needs its own app. To control software update, volume, eq, Siri, etc. All within one app, rather than being split across 3 places as it is now.
This! And to select songs and albums if you don't want to airplay. Pure pain in every non-english speaking country to select most international titels and artists. Frustrating.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe

Well, HomePod is very much tied to HomeKit and thus it feels natural that all settings are indeed in the Home app. I can imagine for those who only use it for music, it would need a different app though. Apple should at least re-arranges the settings section. The Dolby Atmos switch for example is in a totally different place - which doesn't seem to work by the way, I turned it off and the Music app still reports that eligible tracks are playing with Dolby Atmos (or am I reading it wrong?).

Also... the HomePod (mini) does have triggers, from its temperature and humidity sensors. Plus the option to detect some sounds like those from fire alarms, although I haven't been able to tie this into an automation yet.

stocklen

Suspended
Sep 25, 2013
It's a HomeKit hub. An Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) or iPad (left on and at home all the time) could also do that job. The hub allows remote access from an iPhone associated with the same Apple ID. Without the hub, I guess you only have local WiFi access.
Hate to be the one to break it to you...

.. but the iPad hasnt been a HomeKit hub for a while now. That functionality has been removed.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Wait - isn’t that upper-left corner arrow icon for Location Services?

Regardless, as iOS matures, it seems the intuitive nature that helped make it the now defacto handheld, is eroding.
In my own informal study, I feel I’m having to explain how to navigate the OS for my wife, mom, etc. more than ever. And in many cases, I can no longer automatically walk them through the process. I have to go do it myself. And almost everyone of those attempts, is not something I can run through on 1st pass.
Just try - let’s say - favorite a place in Apple Maps and giving it a name like Auntie House. Something so simple and so easy anyone can do it on the old iphoneOS but now no one would be able to without Google how to.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Uh, it’s a HomeKit hub that’ll allow you to do things with your smart home devices without iPhone present.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
Interesting, now then I was about to update my pair of minis, I realized one of them was on 17.3 but the other was stuck on 16.6. The first one updated just fine to 17.4, the other one did nothing.

I ended having to completely remove that one my Home and do a “firmware reset”, after that it would finally later update to 17.4.

Reactions: Huck and matrix07

dustin_

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico

homepod mini is their cheapest homekit hub, which is required for home automation. it wouldn’t make sense for homepod to live outside of the home app imo.

• Disagree
Reactions: Account25476
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.