how to update to iOS 4.2 (or 4.3?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dragonmaki, Jul 23, 2011.

1. dragonmaki macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been trying to upgrade my iphone software because I have an app that says I need to upgrade it.

The instructions on the apple website say "just plug in your iphone! It will upgrade itself!" But it doesn't do that. :p

iTunes says "A newer version of iPhone software is available (version4.2) but when I click the update button it just says I have the current version of iTunes (?!) when I am looking to update the phone!

I have Mac OS X, Version 10.4.11
    iTunes 9.2.1
    iPhone iOS 4.1

Any help would be appreciated!

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I'm assuming you have an iPhone 3G? Plug the phone in and go to the iPhone's dedicated page in iTunes where it lists all your device information and you'll see two buttons that say 'Restore' and 'Update'. Try updating using that button.

3. dragonmaki thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's where I was-- I click that update button in itunes and it says "itunes is already updated." when I really want to update my phone! It is the on the page for updating or restoring my phone that it does that. There's only two buttons and picture of your phone.

4. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Get the newest iTunes: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/