Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
So my father's iPad mini (1) is still running ios 7.xx
From my understanding ios 11 is incompatible with the older minis, so is there a way to upgrade to a different iOS like iOS 9?

Thanks!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If he goes to update it, it will update to the latest software version available for his iPad. There would be no option to update to anything in between.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
You don't get a choice. It'll automatically grab the last version available for that iOS device, which is likely 9.x.

Keep in mind you can't go back once it's done. No experience of that iPad running iOS 9, so I can't comment on performance.

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
You don't get a choice. It'll automatically grab the last version available for that iOS device, which is likely 9.x.

Keep in mind you can't go back once it's done. No experience of that iPad running iOS 9, so I can't comment on performance.

So once I connect it to a Mac and use iTunes it will update to 9.xx?
On the iPad itself, it says ios 11 is available.
In general isn't software updates quite crippling in terms of speed for most idevices (especially for older models)
Though some of the apps currently require an update which then requires an ios 8ish firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.