how to update to os4.0 after a jailbroken 3.1.3?? pls help !

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zigel, Aug 7, 2010.

1. zigel macrumors newbie

dear bros ,

, i have something to ask , me iphone is 3.1.3 jailbroken , now i wished to update to apple latest firmware
    which in 4.1.0 ? so i have to jailbreak is again right ? but if i update to latest firmware now i will lose all my apps ?? so how can i prevent losing my apps yet able to update to latest firmware and re jailbreak again?
    pls advise step by step i am a noob here , tks a million ! god bless u!

2. zigel thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone explain to me ? tks alot!

3. juliusdrb macrumors newbie

Actually I have the same question, but in English. I have an iphone on 3.1.3 that was jailbroken with Spirit and I want to update to the latest iOS. I see a lot of guides on how to jailbreak 4.0 but I need to update first. Thanks.

4. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    - Open iTunes and plug in iPhone.
    - Allow iPhone to backup
    - Update iPhone to lates iOS 4.0.1
    - Once phone has updated unplug from iTunes.
    - On iPhone's Safari browser, go to www.jailbreakme.com
    - Slide to jailbreak and enjoy :D

5. LaeeqB macrumors newbie

If your apps are already synced to your iTunes, then you shouldn't have to worry about losing them (although you will lose all jailbroken apps). All you need to do is press Upgrade and iTunes will install 4.0.1 onto your iPhone. Once that is done and iTunes activates your iPhone, it will ask if you want to set it up as a new phone or restore from an old one. You should set it up as a new phone. It will then ask what to sync and make sure the "Automatically Sync Apps" is checked. Then all you need to do is let it sync and your phone will be set up. Then go to jailbreakme.com and let it jailbreak your device and you'll be done.

6. juliusdrb macrumors newbie

Ah thanks, I had just read somewhere that it wasn't safe to update to the latest firmware while the iphone is in a jailbroken state. I hope this is not the case!

7. LaeeqB macrumors newbie

Normally, if you restore from the backup of a jailbroken iPhone, it does screw up your phone a bit and you won't be able to jailbreak it. This is why I told you to set it up as new.

8. zigel thread starter macrumors newbie

i still dun understand , does that means i have to lose all my jaibroken apps in order to upgrade to os 4.0.1 ?