How to Update Twitter and Facebook using Siri

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaburgeson, Oct 15, 2011.

1. jaburgeson macrumors newbie

So I'm not sure if this has been posted before but its real simple to update both of them using Siri.

For Twitter, text START to 40404 if you are in the US and follow the instructions. When you are done create a contact named Twitter with the 40404 number. Now all you have to do is tell Siri to send a Message to Twitter saying "What you want to Tweet"

Same goes for Facebook. As long as your number is linked through the website on Facebook on your profile. Create a contact named Facebook with the number 32665 associated with it, and all you have to do is say Siri send a Message to Facebook saying "Your status Update".

This works fairly well. The only problem I found was when I activated Siri, and said, Send a Message to Twitter. Normally with a normal contact it would ask me what would I like to say, but in this case, it says it can't send tweets.

So as long as you say Send a Message to Twitter saying "Your Tweet" it works great.

Hope this helps :)

2. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Hmm, I've tried it and Siri says "To whom shall I send this message?".

I have 'Twitter' in my contacts under 40404.

3. jaburgeson thread starter macrumors newbie

You have to say it like a normal sentence....so if I wanted to Tweet the Coffee is great today I would launch siri and say "Send a message to Twitter saying The Coffee is great today" and it should pop up. It does for me at least.

If you just pop up Siri and say "Send a Message to Twitter" it won't go.

Hopefully that helps.

4. jaburgeson thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a picture of what I'm saying and what is happening using the example I gave in my last post.

Attached Files:

5. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Just tested this with Facebook and it works like a charm...thanks man!!!!! Great find.

6. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Actually you can get it to work by saying "Send a message to Twitter". All you have to do is go into the Twitter contact in your contact app and give it the nickname "Twitter". Worked for me.

EDIT: Saying "send a text to Twitter" doesn't work, you have to say "message".

Attached Files:

8. jaburgeson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that does work, hah great tip for a tip :)

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, this is awesome, thank you! Twitter worked perfectly, but I haven't seen the update in Facebook yet. I'm gonna troubleshoot it a little because it's probably something I did wrong...lol.

10. ToxicMan macrumors member

You all are so fortunate. I haven't been able to get Siri to even once yet! Network not available every time. Been trying since Friday morning when I got the darn thing!

Have tried everything. Turning it off. Throwing it against the floor. You name it.

11. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I'm trying but it's not working. What part of the contact do add the word Twitter into so Siri understands it?

12. jaburgeson thread starter macrumors newbie

First name and you can add the field nickname and put it there as well.

13. bnarcum macrumors newbie

Facebook updates via email method

If you want to do this for Facebook updates, just create a contact named Face and make the email address your custom email address that FB gives you for emailing your status updates. You can find that here: http://www.facebook.com/mobile/

Then, just activate Siri and say “Email Face” and whatever you make the subject of the email will be show up as your status update. You can also just say “Email Face about this is cool.” and it will make your status update say “This is cool.” It will ask you what you want the email to say but just say anything and hit Send. The only thing that gets posted is the Subject line.

14. ljmjag macrumors member

This was a great post and should be a sticky quite frankly. It's incredibly useful and works like a charm (or at least as well as Siri works).

Great job and thanks!

15. Eradik macrumors regular

Holy crap thank you. For some reason I never thought of this. Works great!

16. MortalDays macrumors regular

For some reason, the email get stuck in my "OutBox" and it never get send. Any fix for this? :confused:

17. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

I just made an account on Posterous.com

Then I linked my twitter account in Autopost settings

Then I made a contact on my phone called Tweeter

"Send an email to Tweeter"

what would you like it to say?

"[content]"

ready to send?

"Change the Subject"

What would you like the subject to be?

"[subject]"

Ready to send?

"yes".

Can also auto post to Facebook and other places in the same way.

:cool:

https://twitter.com/#!/l3it3r

enjoy.

(the last tweet I just did, Siri asked for the subject first... weird.)

18. ryanbates macrumors regular

ryanbates

19. xraytech, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

Thanks!!!

Naming the Twitter Contact "Twitter" actually works.

Also, you can do the same with Google+

20. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm confused. You make the contact for Twitter, but what email address do you put in for the Twitter contact? You didn't mention how that works.

21. xraytech macrumors 68020

Read the Original Post

22. f00f macrumors 65816

Rather than creating a separate contact named Twitter I simply added 40404 to my own contact information as a "twitter" number.

I was hoping to be able to say things like: "Tell my Twitter testing 1 2 3" however Siri would always ask me who I wanted to send the message to (i.e. didn't interpret the "my"). For the record, I Have an "iPhone" number listed in my contact info and saying "Tell my iPhone testing 1 2 3" works exactly as expected. Also, saying "Tell <my full name>'s Twitter testing 1 2 3" also works; so clearly Siri has an issue with "my" and "twitter" in the same tell statement.

I ultimately abandoned that effort and instead made a new contact with First/last name "@my_twitter_user Twitter" and nickname "Twitter" (as suggested here). Now it's as simple as "Tell twitter testing 1 2 3" and Siri will confirm by saying "Here's your message to @my_twitter_user Twitter. Ready to send it?"

Pretty neat.

[​IMG]

23. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Duh...I'm an idiot...lol. Thanks, xraytech. I'd already followed the instructions in the OP, but I thought this was a different way of doing the same thing. :D

24. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

Sorry!!

For posterous, it's pretty cool

You can do Post@Posterous.com for ALL of your linked accounts

twitter@posterous.com will post just to twitter,
    facebook@posterous.com will post just to facebook,
    etc..

:cool: