How to update video card drivers in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

I have been playing the Battlefield 3 Beta on Windows 7 Bootcamp on my 21.5 inch 2.7 GHz iMac. Surprisingly, it runs very well at 1080p on high settings. The problem is that before I open the game, it tells me that I have AMD 11.1 and I need to update the video card drivers to at least 11.7. I cannot find the update on the AMD support page. The ones I have found will not install.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

This seems to be a common problem. You may need to go into Control Panel and remove the bootcamp versions to install AMD Catalyst properly. You'll have to deal with 800x600 res while doing this after the reboot.

3. brachson macrumors member

but game still runs? I have same problem but in my case game does not run at all

4. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

What version of Catalyst do I download. I have tried many, but they all eventually say that I do not have valid AMD hardware.

5. gregd33 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just did thus two nights ago. The plain drivers won't install without a lot of mucking around. The larger package - 85 Meg or so- will install fine.

I installed the 11.9 drivers but they show up ad 8.892 or some odd versioning like that.

6. gregd33 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's the one.

7. Radex macrumors member

I had problems updating so, I made a faux video driver number and it worked really well for me.

Here's what I did (copied from another forum):
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\GUID\0000"

Change "Catalyst_Version" REG_SZ to whatever you like.

You'll need to find to current GUID used by your card/driver, you can find it here:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO"

It's usually Video4 and/or Video5 on Windows Vista/7 and it's usually Video0 on XP (if I'm not mistaken).

===

Runs Battlefield 3 Beta beautifully.

8. Wonderman11 macrumors newbie

How do I do this??

How do I do this?

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

In control panel's install/remove software. Forgot what it was called (either boot camp something or ATI/AMD something or GPU something) Remove the graphics bundle and reboot. Install new catalyst drivers and reboot once more.