Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tallulahc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Hello,

I have an iphone 3g with version 3.1.3 and frimware 5.12.01. It's a outdated and I can't restore from the back-up. Is there a way for me to update without losing my unlock?

Thank you :)

tallulahc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I'm a noob at making this happen. Can you give me the steps doing it. I'm not at all familiar with updates and such.

I have a mac computer not windows if that helps.

Thank you again for doing this.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I'm a noob at making this happen. Can you give me the steps doing it. I'm not at all familiar with updates and such.

I have a mac computer not windows if that helps.

Thank you again for doing this.

Pwnage tool is for Mac only and it is perfect for you. However, I must warn you that once your 3G is update to the 4.0 or higher firmware, it is crawling slow.

Here is the link on how to update your Iphone firmware while preserving the baseband;

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-pwnagetool-4.2.1-for-untethered-4.2.1-jailbreak-custom-firmware/

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I get muddled. I know the older 3G does not need blobs saved but you only need blobs saved on the 4 and 3GS and 4.0 or later? I gues it also depends on baseband.
I get confused on when blobs are needed to save unlocks.

I actually have the same, an unlocked 3G on 3.13 and 5.12 but want to upgrade to a used unlockable 4 soon. the 3G is at the end of upgradeability IMO.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You can use blobs to save bb on iphone 4 only. 3G/3GS must use custom firmware to save bb.
3G doesn't need blobs to downgrade to 3.1.3. However 4.x has security measures in place that require blobs to upgrade/downgrade to an iOS that's not what's currently out. 3GS and iphone 4 have these security measures built in, so they can't downgrade or upgrade without blobs.
The last unlockable bb for iphone 4 is 1.59.
You've probably seen the posts about the grey market carrier unlock. We'll see if it gets reversed or not. If it's real, you may not have to worry about the 1.59 bb.
I get muddled. I know the older 3G does not need blobs saved but you only need blobs saved on the 4 and 3GS and 4.0 or later? I gues it also depends on baseband.
I get confused on when blobs are needed to save unlocks.

I actually have the same, an unlocked 3G on 3.13 and 5.12 but want to upgrade to a used unlockable 4 soon. the 3G is at the end of upgradeability IMO.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
thanks, so cooking the ipsw does for the 3G & 3Gs what saving blobs does for the 4.
yes, I'm looking for a bb 1.5.9 iphone 4.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
thanks, so cooking the ipsw does for the 3G & 3Gs what saving blobs does for the 4.
yes, I'm looking for a bb 1.5.9 iphone 4.

The last firmware update for the iphone 3G is 4.2.1 so you can update to custom 4.2.1 ipsw created with pwnage to maintain your unlockable baseband.
But the iphone 3G is pretty slow with anything past 4.0+
The highest I'd go with a 3G is 3.1.3 but up to you if you want to give it a shot.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Of course, you can always use custom firmware for the iphone 4, or any other iphone, but the blobs give you an extra option. I prefer using pwnage to save my bb.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
No I'm maxed out FW-wise on my 3G.

Considering a new 4 on ATT. To jb it I need to get a new 4.3.1 and save blobs before 4.3.2 is out? if 4.3.2 comes out and I can find a new 4.3.1 iphone4, is it jb'able without blobs?
sorry I'm not totally dense and have unlocked and jb'd many idevices but been out of the jb loop a while.
no unlock needed in this scenario. so redsnow will jb any 4.3.1 device except ipad2, no blobs needed for jb only.?

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
My confusion started before 4..3.1 came out when I tried to jb a 4.2.1 Touch4 with pwntool, and cooked the ipsw and itunes wouldn't allow it. I;m sure I did something wrong. I now know I could have used greenpoison on 4.2.1.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
My confusion started before 4..3.1 came out when I tried to jb a 4.2.1 Touch4 with pwntool, and cooked the ipsw and itunes wouldn't allow it. I;m sure I did something wrong. I now know I could have used greenpoison on 4.2.1.

Baseband is more for unlock exploit. In your case, if you don't need to unlocked, you can always update to the latest firmware in Itunes (make sure Jailbreak is available for that new firmware before you update), then jailbreak it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.