Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaganreddy98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Hello I have now
sh-3.2# sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.5.7
BuildVersion: 9J3050

But I need Max OS X server to be able to find Start Workgroup Manager (/Applications/Server/Workgroup Manager) . I need server version to be able to install Oracle.

I would appreciate any help please?

Jagan

Dzokayi

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
buy Leopard Server...

... and install it. It's really that simple.

I recommend a fresh installation, but the disk will allow you to do an upgrade from Leopard.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Leopard Server does not provide an upgrade option to go from Client to Server. You must install fresh.

jaganreddy98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
So I need to buy max os x server and do full install?

So I need to buy max os x server and do full install?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
As far as I know, those tools only connect to an OS X server. They are meant to manage a Server from a Client. I admin many servers (and run it on my macbook), but I have not tried to point the workgroup manager to a client machine...

Try it. They connect (and admin) a client just fine. Connecting remotely might not have the right open network ports, but connecting to "localhost" should work.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
From what I've read (our server is strictly FTP/file sharing, so it's never been an issue), 90% or more of what makes OSX server can be accomplished with standard OSX and some command-line work, OpenSource or freeware/shareware apps, and configuration. From what I can tell, the real difference between the two is the time required to configure those things manually and the Apple GUI tools to administer them. I haven't seen anything to suggest that there is a fundamental difference between Server and regular OSX (though I admit I haven't looked too hard, there may very well be), so most of what you want to accomplish can be done with some time, google (or bing if you prefer), and a little digital elbow grease.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Try it. They connect (and admin) a client just fine. Connecting remotely might not have the right open network ports, but connecting to "localhost" should work.

Neat trick actually, thanks.

From what I've read (our server is strictly FTP/file sharing, so it's never been an issue), 90% or more of what makes OSX server can be accomplished with standard OSX and some command-line work, OpenSource or freeware/shareware apps, and configuration. From what I can tell, the real difference between the two is the time required to configure those things manually and the Apple GUI tools to administer them. I haven't seen anything to suggest that there is a fundamental difference between Server and regular OSX (though I admit I haven't looked too hard, there may very well be), so most of what you want to accomplish can be done with some time, google (or bing if you prefer), and a little digital elbow grease.

Absolutely. There are extra commands and tools in server that make it easier to manipulate. Client can do a lot of it the same, but requires manually generating the configurations and starting the services.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
... and install it. It's really that simple.

I recommend a fresh installation, but the disk will allow you to do an upgrade from Leopard.

Snow Leopard server can only be used to upgrade Leopard server or perform a clean installation; there is no client to server upgrade route; a clean installation must be performed.

frimple

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Denver, CO

That's completely correct. I have an oracle install running on my non-server OS X install. I followed the same guides that you linked to on Oracles site and it installed no problem. The trickiest part honestly was getting the java installer to run :eek:

Dzokayi

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
try it sometime...

Snow Leopard server can only be used to upgrade Leopard server or perform a clean installation; there is no client to server upgrade route; a clean installation must be performed.

Leopard client machine... pop in a Leopard server disk. I might be fuzzy on the details, but I have absolutely done this, and wound up with a Server install with user accounts, iLife apps, etc. intact. OP never asked about Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.