How to upgrade 10.5.7 to 10.5.7 Server for Oracle Install?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jaganreddy98, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jaganreddy98 macrumors newbie

Hello I have now
    sh-3.2# sw_vers
    ProductName: Mac OS X
    ProductVersion: 10.5.7
    BuildVersion: 9J3050

But I need Max OS X server to be able to find Start Workgroup Manager (/Applications/Server/Workgroup Manager) . I need server version to be able to install Oracle.

I would appreciate any help please?

Jagan

2. Dzokayi macrumors member

buy Leopard Server...

... and install it. It's really that simple.

I recommend a fresh installation, but the disk will allow you to do an upgrade from Leopard.

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Leopard Server does not provide an upgrade option to go from Client to Server. You must install fresh.

4. jaganreddy98 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I need to buy max os x server and do full install?

So I need to buy max os x server and do full install?

5. goMac macrumors 603

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

As far as I know, those tools only connect to an OS X server. They are meant to manage a Server from a Client. I admin many servers (and run it on my macbook), but I have not tried to point the workgroup manager to a client machine...

7. goMac macrumors 603

Try it. They connect (and admin) a client just fine. Connecting remotely might not have the right open network ports, but connecting to "localhost" should work.

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

From what I've read (our server is strictly FTP/file sharing, so it's never been an issue), 90% or more of what makes OSX server can be accomplished with standard OSX and some command-line work, OpenSource or freeware/shareware apps, and configuration. From what I can tell, the real difference between the two is the time required to configure those things manually and the Apple GUI tools to administer them. I haven't seen anything to suggest that there is a fundamental difference between Server and regular OSX (though I admit I haven't looked too hard, there may very well be), so most of what you want to accomplish can be done with some time, google (or bing if you prefer), and a little digital elbow grease.

9. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Neat trick actually, thanks.

Absolutely. There are extra commands and tools in server that make it easier to manipulate. Client can do a lot of it the same, but requires manually generating the configurations and starting the services.

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Snow Leopard server can only be used to upgrade Leopard server or perform a clean installation; there is no client to server upgrade route; a clean installation must be performed.

12. frimple macrumors 6502

That's completely correct. I have an oracle install running on my non-server OS X install. I followed the same guides that you linked to on Oracles site and it installed no problem. The trickiest part honestly was getting the java installer to run :eek:

13. Dzokayi macrumors member

try it sometime...

Leopard client machine... pop in a Leopard server disk. I might be fuzzy on the details, but I have absolutely done this, and wound up with a Server install with user accounts, iLife apps, etc. intact. OP never asked about Snow Leopard.