how to upgrade 2 lines?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammyman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

How do I upgrade both phones on a family plan from 3gs to 4? I can only do one at a time on Apple.com

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

you can do them both... just have to use different apple ID's, which each phone should have it's own if the person has ever used itunes.

3. invisible777 macrumors member

Howabout if I want to add a new line? Apple.com is telling me to walk into a retail store to do it. Any way to get around that?

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Correct you upgrade each line, one at a time. Each line has it's own contract even if they share the same FamilyTalk rate plan.

When you order the upgrade the first thing you do is enter the phone number of the line that you want to inclue in the first upgrade. You just need to do the cycle twice. Same credit card and even the same iTunes store id can be used for the preorder.

Dave

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

complete the order for one phone, then go back and complete the order for the second phone... 2 orders..... 2 charges... you don't have to have a 2nd user ID..... i use(d) the same apple account for both orders but had to complete the first before i could do the second....

good luck!

6. MrSoprano macrumors member

Not sure how you were able to get this through with the same Apple ID as I've been trying all day to get two of my lines upgraded that are both eligible. The first one I was able to get my pre-order through the new Apple Store App. The second one it actually gave me an error message on Apple,com saying that I have reached my pre-order limit and I was unable to get another on my second line. The Apple Store App just says it can't complete the second request. Called Apple and they are no help as their systems are down because of AT&T. Not sure what I should do. Guess I'll just wait and goto the store after all this turmoil is over.

7. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

You can use the same Apple ID for both phones. Upgrade the primary line on the family plan first. Enter the number, zip code, and SSN. Place the new phone into your cart. Continue shopping. Go back to beginning and upgrade the second line. Number, zip, and SSN. Place second new phone into cart. Then check out.