How to upgrade 2g to 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demarrer, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Demarrer macrumors member

I have the original iphone, and im thinking about upgrading to the newer one. I have a few questions though.

What do i have to do to upgrade to the new phone

How much would it cost to upgrade

Thanks for the help.

2. bananabar macrumors regular

3. Demarrer thread starter macrumors member

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, that's pretty much how it's done. Because of the subsidies involved, pricing can vary.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I have no clue what the other members are talking about, unless i missed something.

If you bought the first iPhone from AT&T, then you can go to the AT&T / Apple store and upgrade. If you don't have AT&T and want to switch, then it will cost the same. ($200 8GB / $300 16GB)

Price would only be different if you had another AT&T phone in a contract already, or your lost your 3G iPhone.

6. Demarrer thread starter macrumors member

I have a contract with ATT and the original iphone. I still pay the retail value for the 3g phone?

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You'll pay those prices i listed then. You paid full price for the first phone, so you can upgrade to any phone you want, and in this case, the iPhone 3G. Once you get the iPhone 3G though, you can't upgrade to another phone without paying it's full price for another 2 years. Confusing, i know.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I'll be glad to help you out. It really is quite easy.

There's an awesome website that can help you with questions like this and many others. Truth be told, I'm fairly certain that you can find the answer to ANYTHING. It's truly amazing!

Here's the address: www.google.com

When the web page loads up, all you have to do is type "att" and then hit enter. Here's where it gets really cool....it will bring up a link to where you want to go! Click on the first link and it will take you to AT&T's home page.

On the right side of the screen, it will mention the iPhone 3G. Click on the picture and it will take you to a page that tells you everything you need to know for upgrading/purchasing/etc.

I hope this helps!
    Bryan

9. Demarrer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So there is really no point in getting the 3g phone if the rumors of a new one in july are true.

10. tlove macrumors member

tlove

He deserved that one. hehehe:)

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

<sigh>

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You know, this is what brings forums down. I can see you're new here so you might be new to "foruming."

The point of a forum is to answer the question, not to tell someone to search for it. It probably crossed their mind already, but they still will post a new thread. If everyone answered "Use the search" for a question, there would be no point in an open forum anymore. If they don't know the answer to their question, it obviously isn't recognized as much. There is only one exception to this rule, and that would be asking about the 1 iPhone speaker.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

THERE WILL BE A NEW ONE EVERY JULY. THIS IS HOW THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY WORKS.

Buy now and be happy.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Allow me to ask you this: is this an iPhone forum or is it an AT&T forum?

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Both.

Having a call issue? That's AT&T.
    Need to know where to buy the iPhone? That's AT&T, and also Apple.
    Have a contract issue? That's AT&T.
    Not sure if you can upgrade? That's AT&T.
    Have a weird iPhone bill? That's AT&T.
    Asking if 3G is in your area? That's AT&T.

ETC.

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Exactly. I completely agree with you. That's why I showed him where he could find an answer to his question...

17. JD92, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

18. matttrick macrumors 6502

who cares? you posted in this thread just to whine, when you could have helped the person. or you could have just ignored it. but you would rather come in and whine that they didnt use google. why does it bother you so much? just dont reply, and its no skin off your back.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

As an original iphone owner, I disagree. The differences between the two are small - 3G, GPS, and flush headphone jack are the big ones. But the 3G has all sorts of problems with the phone (dropping calls and such) that the 2G does not have.

Moreover, with phone purchases, you only get a subsidized upgrade once every 2 years, so you'd better be sure the phone you're upgrading to is worth using that credit on.

I will most certainly be waiting for the next version.

20. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Ummm. Last time I checked, the info I provided the OP will take him directly to the source that will answer all of his questions. And there's not an ounce of whining in my post.

21. matttrick macrumors 6502

the sarcasm is palpable and telling him to google info that people could give him in about two seconds is just redundant.

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Ok, I see your point. It's just frustrating to see questions asked that are so easy to find. I mean seriously, if I wanted to upgrade my phone, would I want to go to macrumors or AT&T? I'm constantly amazed at the questions people ask when the answer they need is truly 2 clicks away.