How to upgrade 3GS to iOS5 without a computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JTausTX, Oct 11, 2011.

1. JTausTX macrumors member

Hello,

Here's the situation - sorry if this has been covered before. My girlfriend has a 3GS that works wonderfully, but she hasn't synced it or backed it up for over a year because her computer is not functional, and she doesn't want to use my "backup" computer to do it because she's afraid that the sync will erase all of her music.

Given that, is there any way to back up and sync her phone to iCloud and upgrade to iOS5 without a PC?

On another note - if we put her apple ID into my backup computer's iTunes, would that computer then be able to download all of her music files from Apple? I know you can now redownload anything that you've purchased, but much of her music was originally ripped from CDs.

Thanks everyone!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No, you have to use iTunes to upgrade.

She shouldn't have gone a whole year ignoring her problem.

3. JTausTX thread starter macrumors member

That may be so, but that ship has, unfortunately, sailed...

Looking around, I've seen a few things about how to transfer purchased music from an iPod or iPhone to the PC, but does anyone know of a similar method for non-purchased music? I know that we could theoretically enable her iPod to act as a hard drive, but without the original PC to work with, I don't think it'll work.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Take it to an Apple store. They will help you.

5. wpotere Guest

There are a lot of applications for both Windows and Mac that will let you pull the music off of her phone without syncing. Download one, get the music off and then sync the phone on your other computer and update the OS. Then load it back up. What you are trying to do is not that hard.

6. JTausTX thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - I looked up a couple. I think we'll probably just bite the bullet and spend the $20 on CopyTrans - it seems to be the best program for this kind of thing.

Thanks for the help, everyone :)