How to upgrade a 3G 3.0 to latest firmware

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by narsx, Nov 18, 2010.

1. narsx macrumors member

Okay guys i have a iPhone 3G that is JB's and unlocked on 3.0, been out of the game and i see a lot of changes have happened.

Whats the best way to upgrade my 3G that is on 3.0 to the latest and greatest, i will be using a Windowns XP machine to do so. Any help would be appreciated!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The only safe way to upgrade to the new iOS 4.1 is to create a custom ipsw to preserve the baseband to unlock. But that can only be done a Mac.

If you want to, you can upgrade to 3.1.3 and still be able to jailbreak (Redsn0w) and unlock (Ultrasn0w).

3. narsx thread starter macrumors member

got a link where i can download redsnow and 3.1.3

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

5. narsx thread starter macrumors member

got it, so download the latest redsnow, 3.1.3 and jailbreak and unlock right!

redsnow in the past was the easiest, jb's and unlocked tons of phones, hopefully its still the same lol

but on that site it says i can download 4.1, will that still work or only 3.1.3, since i still have the 4.26 baseband?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

(Mac route) Like I said before PwnageTool to save the baseband.

(Windows route) You can download a custom 4.1 ipsw from a site that you can trust. Then with the ipsw, download the newest version of redsn0w to put your iPhone in "special dfu mode".

7. narsx thread starter macrumors member

great where can i download that special firmware lol? already downloaded the latest redsnow!

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

use the link I provided. it is the best source for custom ipsw files. I have used it many many many times!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you sure those are custom IPSW's created with pwnage.
    They look like stock apple firmware for all devices, not Jailbroken IPSW's.

10. curiousgg macrumors member

Yes, is there a reputable place you know of where one could get an already made custom 4.1 ispw for 3g iphone?

Should I even try and use snowbreeze to try and create my own custom 4.1ispw at this point? I haven't read of anyone who has used snowbreeze successfully. They all seem to have upgraded to the latest firmware with that. If I were to find a friend with a mac how easy is to use pwnage tool if I've never done that before?

The boards are abuzz with people with the latest modem firmware waiting for the unlock which means they are waiting for 4.2 to be released which might be imminent but I'm wondering if I have to wait for anything since mine is still 04.26.08 like the OP. I'm hoping there would be reliable custom 4.1 ispw out there on the net at that point. Is that wishful thinking?

I've updated my jailbroken/unlocked phone once before and maintained everything....but I had found a custom ispw for the version I wanted at that time. Haven't created my own.

Thanks

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

With some random site having custom ipsw's, you just have to go on your instinct. Don't even try Snowbreeze! Too bad the iPhone Dev Team doesn't have custom ipsw files on their blog for people who don't own Macs.

12. curiousgg macrumors member

anyone know anything about hackstor? S/he or they seem to have pwnage created custom firmwares on their site.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Those are NOT custom IPSW, those are vanilla :apple: firmwares....

14. curiousgg macrumors member

To OP,

I bit the bullet and went ahead and used the custom firmware on hackstor. I now have a 3g iphone on 4.1 with a 04.26.08 baseband working on T-mobile.

off to the app store to see what exciting products there are....oh and of course cydia too.

15. curiousgg macrumors member

I should add though that I now have PWNED on the apple symbol upon start-up whereas I never had that before.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I guess they used a custom boot logo:D

17. narsx thread starter macrumors member

Can you link me to the exact same one you got? Really appreciate all the responses guys!

18. narsx thread starter macrumors member

the firmwares i download seem to be incompatible, this sucks!!!