How to upgrade an Iphone 3GS with 2.2 version to 3.0 or 3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bhavna, Nov 4, 2009.

1. bhavna macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I got an iphone 3gs (from the grey market) but the software version is 2.2 and modem firmware is 02.28.00. The phone works fine but I cant video record, voice call feature and a lot other features which is mentioned in the manual is not there.

Am not that tech savy, a friend of mine told me if i upgrade i wont be able to use my fone.....Please tell me what to do as i want to use all the cool features of a 3GS fone.

Thanksssss

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, as the 3GS launched with version 3.0, I suspect that what you've bought is a 3G.

To check, go to Settings - General - About, and check the model number

Then go and Google "iphone model xxxxxxx" where xxxxxxx is your model number

Also check this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=521826

3. bhavna thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

But how do i know the difference between a 3G and a 3GS. My fone came in an iphone 3gs box. Bought it from Dubai and the model number is MB496AB (16 gb black)

Plsssss help

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I googled that model number and it comes up as a factory unlocked 3g. Not 3gs, sorry.

5. SWISSHAT macrumors member

SWISSHAT

unfortunately you DuNotBai.....from grey market....

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You've been tricked.

However, if you put it back in its box, and advertise on eBay "New Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G Black, works with any GSM carrier anywhere in the world", you should get some good offers. With the money you make you can buy a real 3GS