How to upgrade firmware to 4.2 on jailbroken iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by furyp, Nov 11, 2010.

1. furyp macrumors newbie

I just jailbroke my iphone using Limera1n. If I want to upgrade my firmware from 4.1 to 4.2 (when it comes out), what do I do? Do I need to restore my phone and then jailbreak it again using the same method?

I've saw Cydia will be upgrading to support OS 4.2 as well, what does that have to do with everything? I'd Really appreciate if you can post me some instructions!

Thanks in advance.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have a few options to upgrading to the new update when it comes out.

PwnageTool: allows you to upgrade to the newest update while preserving your baseband (so you can unlock)

OR

You can just upgrade via iTunes if you don't need the unlock.

Cydia is just being updated so it can be compatible with the new 4.2 jailbreak.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wait till there's tools available and cydia packages updated to work with 4.2
    Right now u will be stuck with a tethered jb and probably not many jb apps will be compatible.
    That's the way the jb game is played. We usually gotta wait and don't update right away as soon as a new firmware is out.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

well at least wait till it comes out sides like Iclarified will then have a step by step tutorial. most Cydia apps will not support 3.2 from the get go. also you want to be careful about your baseband if you plan to unlock. I will probably wait about 2 weeks after 4.2 is released. I'm never 1st on the block I let others be the guinea pigs! ;)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wise move.
    Same here.

6. furyp thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't unlocked my phone only jailbreak it. I've heard if i just upgrade over itune, there's gonna be some problems.

So should i restore to backup first and then jailbreak again?

does Limera1n allow you to jailbreak version 4.2?

7. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I was thinking of starting a similar thread...
    So is PwnageTool means i can upgrade to 4.2 but i'll keep my old BB? can you download PwnageTool from Cydia?

thanks

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes. LimeRa1n as stated by GeoHot jailbreaks 4.1 and higher.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

As long as you have a Mac you can use Pwnage. Yep, you keep your baseband by creating a custom ipsw file

Pwnage is a jailbreak tool created by the iPhone Dev-Team: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1359246784/20102010-event

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Before starting a new thread. You should go read some sites that will give you more information about PwnageTool. For instance, http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

You don't even know PwnageTool is and what it does.

11. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

well I'm new to this and this forum is my only source, until know i didn't know what dev-team was.. So i need these sources and info and don't worry i won't open a thread.
    Thanks

12. R-U-Bein-Fair macrumors newbie

I can't believe this guy got put down!?!?!

gngan are you seriously that sad? "Steve Jobs" pwnage is pure ownage. I'm not so into that stuff as I am a developer. Too busy to focus on terms and putting people down. We all start somewhere. Open a thread if you think its worth it and if people think they are too advanced they should go away. In the IT world, there is SO MUCH to learn and know, knowledge becomes prehistoric quickly and you have to start somewhere.

I only started with these things two yrs ago and am 30, the right people and learning the right questions is where you need to be. Here is the trick for the future. Google what you want and when you don't see it google different terms or identify words to include that are industry jargon. Most of us enthusiasts and developers have no time to explain what is already out there, BUT some of us have the time to make you feel stupid. Don't be deterred by tools and never stand down when someone puts you down. . coz the knowledge they have you can obtain and the heart you have, they will NEVER gain.