How to upgrade firmware Vertex Plus in macbook pro 13" 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaulyD, Oct 10, 2011.

1. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I have a Vertex plus 120gb in the optibay for my MBP which is on the stock 3.02 firmware and I want to upgrade to 3.5 to hopefully prevent any corruption issues happening (apparently a common issue on stock firmware - didn't do enough research on my part). Is there a simple way of doing it?

I don't have a DVD drive at the moment (due to the mod and waiting for an enclosure to be delivered) and as far as I know creating a USB stick won't work either as that will only be bootable in a PC.

Are the only options to remove it and put into a windows PC to do so or wait for the enclosure/get a external DVD drive and update on my macbook that way? Not sure if the external DVD drive will allow it to boot but can only try.

Hope I don't have to take it all out just for this firmware upgrade :(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like you need windows to update your vertex drive

[​IMG]

Here's the URL and it appears you don't need a DVD player but you must be in windows.

3. PaulyD thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh its the Vertex Plus and not the Vertex 3 series so based on indilinx rather than sandforce controller (IIRC)

Thanks for the quick response. I can see me having to whip it out and do it but its just a pain to do so :(

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's the Vertex plus read me

So you'll need windows and a DVD. The windows portion may only be needed to expand the .exe into an ISO image, but still...

5. PaulyD thread starter macrumors 6502

i understand that and have read the readme. I have windows 7 on bootcamp and access to a seperate windows only machine

Guess I have two questions which I should have made clearer.

1. Can I use an external DVD drive to boot the firmware updater

2. Is there a way to do this from a USB drive (USB Universal Installer doesn't work - windows only)

Thanks for your help so far

6. PaulyD thread starter macrumors 6502

Got lucky. Enclosure came today which allowed me to burn and boot the firmware update disc and successfully updated :)

Thanks for your help

7. MarceFX macrumors member

Hi!

How did you get to update the firmware? I'm booting from the update disc on a Windows machine. But when the update program runs it does not detect the Vertex Plus drive attached to an USB enclosure :/

I choose option 1, hit return and get "No OCZ drive found"

Thank you