How to upgrade from 10.0.x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NewtoiMac, Jul 18, 2007.

1. NewtoiMac macrumors newbie

I had OS9 on my iMac, and used the supplied-CD to upgrade to 10.0.x. Lots of issues now, and the forums tell me 10.0 is a joke. How can I upgrade to 10.3 or 10.4? Every time I download anything through IE a .dmg file is created, and it can't be mounted by 10.0. I'm goin' spare over this.

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

3. NewtoiMac thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, Tiger it is. Any idea where I can get student-pricing on this s/ware?

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

http://store.apple.com/ - click on Education under More Stores in the right-hand column.

Also, Tiger only comes on DVD. If your iMac doesn't have a DVD drive, you'll have to get the CD version elsewhere, like eBay. Apple discontinued it a few months after Tiger was released. There are currently 9 auctions on eBay for the CD sets (though it looks like some of them just matched the search but aren't what you'd want).

6. NewtoiMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I'm in Canada so the Apple Education option doesn't apply (thanks for the tip though). But the iMac does have a DVD drive, so that's a bonus.

7. Thinine macrumors newbie

What are your hardware specs? You may also want to upgrade your RAM when you upgrade the OS. Other than that, backup all your important files and wipe your hard drive when you install Tiger.

8. NewtoiMac thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a G4 with 256MB of memory, so I may have to upgrade the memory. We'll find out once I've installed Tiger. No problems with IE still sucking; I'd prefer to use Firefox anyway. Thanks for the advice, guys.

9. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

The Apple Education discount does apply to Canadians. Although it only applies to faculty and higher education (college or university).

This link should take you to the education store:
    http://canadaapp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/EducationStores.woa