Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narked Diver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
My mum's been running an iPad 2 for a few years now so I've bought her a new iPad for her birthday

I'm not sure how to move her apps across to the new iPad as they're on different versions of iOS

Normally when I've upgraded iOS devices for people I've been able to do an encrypted iTunes back up and restore as the two devices have been on the same version of iOS

I don't know what the options are when one device is on iOS 9 (and can't be upgraded) and the other device is on iOS 10 (and can't be downgraded)

Do I have to set the new iPad up as a new device and then manually add her apps? What do I do about the app data?

Thanks in advance

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
do a full backup of the ipad2 in itunes, then do a restore from backup on the new ipad. all her apps and app data will be transferred over.

i updated from ipad2 to ipadpro this way without a hitch.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Normally when I've upgraded iOS devices for people I've been able to do an encrypted iTunes back up and restore as the two devices have been on the same version of iOS
Works the same. What you can't do is restore from iOS 10 backup to iOS 9 device. From older firmware to newer firmware works just fine. I restored from my iPad 4 (iOS 6) backup to iPad Air (iOS 7) just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.