How to upgrade from the evaluation version of windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ozreth, May 3, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I am still running the evaluation version of Windows 7, but my purchased copy is on its way. When it arrives do I just stick the disc in while booted into Windows and let it do its thing? Or do I have to erase the partition and do it all from scratch?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If the version you bought matches what you evaluated you should be able to just enter the product key. If not, you should be able to "upgrade" your eval to the purchased one (as long as it is equivalent or greater). i.e. you can't upgrade 7 Professional to 7 Home Premium. If you need to do that, you need to do a full reinstall from scratch.

Also if you bough an OEM/System Builder's version you are looking at a full reinstall if it won't take the key since they are designed not to allow upgrades.

B

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Gotcha, it will be OEM so that answers my question, thanks : )

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Although unsupported by MS it is possible to do these 'upgrades' by changing the product type in the registry. I have switched an office full of test machines from W7 Ultimate RC to W7 Professional RTM like this.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You are correct. There are also similar ways of turning a Home Premium install disc into Ultimate, etc... (Doesn't obviate the need for an appropriate product key), etc...

However, I try not to recommend solutions that require a registry edit where I can avoid it. Too much risk. Sticking to the Microsoft supported solutions makes it easier for users to get support from multiple sources. It would be quite different if the OP had come and asked asked "I know if I tweak the registry like this I can force it to upgrade, is it worth it?" Then we'd know up front what he's willing to try.

B